Damper Selection for High Power Rifle Shooting Rest | 3502 ft-lbs of Energy

• Thread starter livinskey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damper
In summary, the person is trying to make a shooting rest for their high power rifle and wants to use a damper to absorb recoil energy. They have attempted to calculate the appropriate damper size but are getting unrealistic results. They ask for help with determining the correct size and the formula for multiple dampers and springs. They also question the accuracy of their calculations and suggest that the muzzle energy may be affected by the weight of the rifle.
livinskey
Hi ,

I am making a shooting rest for my high power rifle and I would like to have a damper take most of the recoil energy so that the shooting rest doesn't move back or up when shooting.

I attempted to calculate what damper would be appropriate for this but I am getting results that don't seem realistic. For example, according to my calculations, a damper that is rated 100lbs and has a stroke of 7inches would only absorb 1.6% of the muzzle energy. A damper that is rated 250lbs and has a stroke of 17 11/16 inches absorbs 10% of the muzzle energy? I must be doing something wrong...

Here are some numbers:
Muzzle energy (of the projectile) 3502 ft-lbs.
Rifle mass: 8 lbs.

Questions?
What size damper should I use?
How much of the muzzle energy actually goes into felt recoil?
What is the formula for multiple dampers and springs connected in searies or parallel?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your muzzle energy will be 3500 ft lbs when calculating the kick of the rifle. A bullet weighs very little and will be accelerated to a very high speed, while your rifles weighs many many times that at 8 lbs. I don't know, but perhaps it is 3500 divided by the weight of the rifle??

1. What is the purpose of a damper in a high power rifle shooting rest?

A damper is used to absorb and dissipate energy from the recoil of a high power rifle, allowing for more stable and accurate shots.

2. How is the energy of a rifle measured?

The energy of a rifle is typically measured in foot-pounds (ft-lbs), which is a unit of energy that takes into account the mass and velocity of the bullet.

3. How much energy is typically generated by a high power rifle?

The amount of energy generated by a high power rifle can vary, but it is generally around 3502 ft-lbs. This can vary depending on the specific rifle and ammunition being used.

4. How do I select the right damper for my high power rifle shooting rest?

When selecting a damper, it is important to consider the weight, length, and recoil of your rifle, as well as the type of shooting you will be doing. It is recommended to consult with a knowledgeable gunsmith or shooting expert for personalized advice.

5. Can a damper completely eliminate recoil?

No, a damper cannot completely eliminate recoil. However, it can significantly reduce the amount of felt recoil and improve the stability of your shooting rest, leading to more accurate shots.