Force distribution to supporting points

In summary, the conversation is about determining the resulting forces on a 3D box resting on multiple points when a downward force is applied at a specific point. The system may or may not be in equilibrium, so equilibrium equations cannot be used. The speaker is interested in finding a formula to calculate the resulting forces and determine if the stacking is stable, taking into account indirect forces.
ErikvdW
Hi everyone!
(little background: I'm trying to develop a small, quick 'n dirty static physics engine to determine whether a stacking of boxes is stable).

If I have a 3D box (with the bottom in the horizontal plane), resting on n points (at [xn, yn]), and we apply a downward force F at [xF, yF], how can I calculate the resulting forces Fn at these n points?

If the system is in equilibrium then [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fn = F.
However, I must also consider that the system might not be in equilibrium (for instance, if all xn < xF), so I can't use equilibrium equations. I'd still like to know the forces in that case, though, so that I can calculate the resulting torque.

Is there an easy formula for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me the system will be stable if there is no moment force. So the stacking will be stable when the resultant downward force is between the support points...and unstable if the force is outside any of the support points.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm really more interested in the resulting forces than just a stable/not stable decision. For instance, a stair-like stack of three boxes might have the direct weights of each of the boxes between their contact points but might still be unstable because of indirect forces. Which means I need to be able to determine these indirect forces.

FAQ: Force distribution to supporting points

1. What is force distribution to supporting points?

Force distribution to supporting points is the process of analyzing how forces are distributed and transmitted through a structure or object to its supporting points. This is important for understanding the stability and strength of a structure.

2. How is force distribution calculated?

Force distribution is calculated by using the principles of statics, which involves analyzing the forces and moments acting on a structure and determining how they are balanced. This can be done through mathematical equations or through computer simulations.

3. Why is force distribution important?

Force distribution is important because it allows us to understand how forces act on a structure and how they are distributed to its supporting points. This is crucial for ensuring that a structure is strong and stable enough to withstand the forces it will encounter.

4. How does force distribution affect the design of a structure?

Force distribution plays a crucial role in the design of a structure as it determines the size, shape, and material choices for each component. By understanding how forces are distributed, engineers can design structures that can withstand the expected loads and remain stable.

5. What factors can affect force distribution?

Force distribution can be affected by a variety of factors, including the shape and size of the structure, the material properties of the components, and the types of external forces it will experience. Additionally, the location and number of supporting points can also impact force distribution.

Back