In layman's terms: what does the term "in layman's terms" mean?

by haael
Tags: wtf
haael
Apr9-11, 06:00 AM
P: 397
Please explain that to me. Everyone is using it and I don't get it. It bugs me so much I can't sleep.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Pengwuino
Apr9-11, 06:09 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Google is your friend.
lisab
Apr9-11, 09:36 AM
Mentor
P: 2,915
It means, a simple explanation; one that can be understood by someone who is not an expert in the field.

physics girl phd
Apr9-11, 02:17 PM
P: 938

In layman's terms: what does the term "in layman's terms" mean?

In layman's terms: Using language "for dummies."
G01
Apr9-11, 02:44 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
Historically, a layman is a person who is a member of a church but not a member of the clergy. Ex: Someone who is a practicing Catholic, but not a Catholic priest.

The term layman is now used to mean anyone who is not an expert or practitioner of the field in question, but still interested in the field. i.e. For physics, a layman is someone with an interest in physics, but who isn't a practicing physicist or physics student.

So, an explanation in "layman's terms" means an explanation that can be understood by interested parties who are not experts.
Proton Soup
Apr9-11, 03:56 PM
P: 1,070
not using "big words". specialized professions have their own languages.
TheStatutoryApe
Apr10-11, 11:32 PM
P: 1,549
Quote Quote by Proton Soup View Post
not using "big words". specialized professions have their own languages.
This. There tend to be specialized "jargon" particular to a field and persons outside that field are not likely to be familiar with the vocabulary. So generally speaking it refers to using words that are understandable to anyone (hopefully) though it can also just mean explaining something in simplified or "dumbed down" terms.
Pythagorean
Apr11-11, 03:04 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,182
to describe something in laymen's terms generally means to use a metaphor; something the laymen is familiar with (describing particles as "wave like" for instance). But it tends to lead to misconceptions.

Register to reply