Electric force with a moving conductive bar in a magnetic field

by slain4ever
Tags: conductive, electric, field, force, magnetic, moving
Share this thread:
slain4ever
Apr11-11, 08:05 PM
P: 63
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A conducting bar is moved to the right in a magnetic field going into the page, an electric field is set up in the bar. Is this electric field upwards or downwards.

3. The attempt at a solution
i think that because a current is being induced in the bar you use the right hand rule but the current goes the other way in the thumb therefore the electric field is up the bar. Is this correct?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Andrew Mason
Apr11-11, 11:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,684
Quote Quote by slain4ever View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A conducting bar is moved to the right in a magnetic field going into the page, an electric field is set up in the bar. Is this electric field upwards or downwards.

3. The attempt at a solution
i think that because a current is being induced in the bar you use the right hand rule but the current goes the other way in the thumb therefore the electric field is up the bar. Is this correct?
The electric field is given by:

[tex]\vec{E} = \vec{v} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

So use the right hand rule for cross product (use the index finger for v and the middle finger for B and the thumb will give the direction of E).

AM
slain4ever
Apr12-11, 01:41 AM
P: 63
is that a yes, by the way i think you misunderstood, i use the right hand palm rule, not the flemming thing.

Andrew Mason
Apr12-11, 12:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,684
Electric force with a moving conductive bar in a magnetic field

Quote Quote by slain4ever View Post
is that a yes, by the way i think you misunderstood, i use the right hand palm rule, not the flemming thing.
If you use the right hand two-finger-thumb rule to determine cross product, you will not be confused.

AM

Register to reply