Moving away while maintaining a relationship?

In summary, it must be possible for an individual to maintain a long distance relationship if both parties are committed to the relationship. The individual must be willing to put in the effort, and be prepared for the difficulties that may come with it.
Monster92
It must be possible, correct?

So I've been with my girlfriend for two and a half years now but I am soon to move across the country (UK) to study at university. I have no intentions of breaking it up but I think I just don't know what the future will bring.

Has anyone ever been in the same boat?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hooked up with a girl online, maintained it for approximately a year, and then moved her in with me. I see no reason why it can't work, although in my case I assumed the entirity of the financial expense on every aspect of the relationship.

In a place like the UK, "across the country" seems doable. Frequent weekend visits aren't out of the question.

In places like Australia, Canada, US, Russia, Brazil...maybe it wouldn't be so easy.

It's quite doable, I've found that frequent visits (with the date of the next visit known in advance) helps significantly. Phone calls at least a couple of times a week and IM chatting help also.

wowwwwwwwwww i have the opposite situation, i don't have a girl friend and I am tending to contiune my studies in australlia , and i live in lebanon , but i need a guarantee , like a fioence that i will came back to lebanon?? lol

You're going to be in a world of pain, my friend. I had that problem (still have it for a couple of weeks) and she was just a little too far away to see regularly. Its a whole different set of issues.

My girlfriend and I have been together for about five years. But our jobs are currently keeping us apart. She is on the west coast and I am on the east coast (USA). Her job is temporary however (adjunct at university), so eventually we hope to get together somehow.

Last edited:
It's very hard to maintain a long distance relationship, and sadly many people do it just out of inertia - they've been with their partner so long that they just don't feel that they could possibly break up.

If you're going to try, good luck to you, but be VERY sure that you're not just trying to stay with this girl because you've been together for x years. There are always new people out there, and unless the person is TRULY worth it, you might end up regretting the time and effort you spent trying to maintain a relationship that ended up failing.

Once I finish school at the end of the week I'm going to give me girlfriend a talk. She goes to a local university I know she went there because of me. I do love this woman but I feel I'm do dedicated to getting a good education and then a 'cool' job. I would literally move country for a new occupation. Relationships involve two people and I know I have to consider her opinion.

It takes a certain type of person to flourish in a long distance relationship. Having had both, I prefer long distance.

With a long distance relationship, time together is planned, it's special, and therefore the time together is more likely to be of high quality and less petty daily annoyances. The downside is if you decide to move in together, you may find that you can't tolerate each other. Even if you once lived together, after living apart for awhile, you may not be able to make living together again work, people change.

oh man life is hard

1. How can I maintain a long-distance relationship while moving away for work or school?

Maintaining a long-distance relationship while moving away can be challenging, but there are a few key strategies that can help. First, communication is key. Make sure to set aside dedicated time to talk to your partner regularly, whether it's through phone calls, video chats, or text messages. It's also important to establish boundaries and expectations for the relationship, such as how often you will communicate and how you will handle conflicts. Additionally, finding ways to stay connected, such as sending care packages or planning virtual dates, can help bridge the distance.

2. Is it possible for a long-distance relationship to work in the long run?

While long-distance relationships may require more effort and communication, they can certainly work in the long run. The key is to have a strong foundation of trust, commitment, and understanding. It's also important to have a plan for eventually living in the same place, whether that means one partner eventually moving or both partners finding a new location together. Ultimately, the success of a long-distance relationship depends on the dedication and effort put in by both partners.

3. How can I deal with the stress and emotions of being in a long-distance relationship while also adjusting to a new location?

Moving away and maintaining a relationship can be emotionally taxing, but there are ways to cope with the stress. First, make sure to take care of yourself and prioritize your own well-being. This may mean finding ways to stay connected to your support system, practicing self-care, and seeking professional help if needed. It's also important to communicate openly with your partner about your feelings and to actively work on managing any conflicts or challenges that arise.

4. Are there any potential benefits to being in a long-distance relationship while moving away?

While long-distance relationships certainly have their challenges, there can also be some benefits. For example, being physically apart can allow for more time and space for personal growth and pursuing individual goals. It can also strengthen communication and trust in the relationship, as well as deepen the emotional connection between partners. Additionally, the experience of maintaining a long-distance relationship can make the relationship stronger and more resilient in the long run.

5. How do I know if a long-distance relationship is right for me while moving away?

Deciding whether a long-distance relationship is right for you while moving away is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and the dynamics of your relationship. It's important to have open and honest conversations with your partner about your expectations, needs, and concerns. You should also consider the level of commitment and dedication you are both willing to put into the relationship. Ultimately, only you and your partner can determine if a long-distance relationship is the best choice for your situation.