Torque in a DC motor (equations?)

In summary, there are two equations for torque in a DC motor: T = µBsinθ and T = kΦIa. The first equation uses the magnetic field strength, angle, and current to calculate torque, while the second equation uses a mechanical and conversion constant, magnetic flux per pole, and armature current. The value of k can be determined by establishing the flux and measuring the open circuit voltage of the motor. In Imperial units, the constant 7.04 is used, but in SI units, a single constant known as "Metric K" can be used for both torque and voltage. Further information can be found in the provided thread.
infamous_Q
hey, I've been looking EVERYwhere for equations for torque in a DC motor. I've come accorss plenty too:

T = µBsinθ
and T = k(magnetic flux per pole)I <- where k is a "mechanical and conversion constant" and I is the current in the armature, and i couldnt' find the magnetic flux symbol key thing.

now here's where I am troubled...which is right? if ne of these are. and if it's teh second one...wut the hell is k supposed to be?

thanx for any help guys...itd be real awesome if someone had this knowledge tucked away in the back of their heads.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm mighty out of date and still use Imperial untsbut Torque = 7.04 K X Φ(which is flux) X Ia(which is armature current)
so T = KΦIa

to find K you establish flux, spin the motor and measure open circuit voltage it makes (so Ia = zero and there's no voltage drop)
Voltage = (same K) X RPM

Now that pesky 7.04 - where does it fit in?
It accounts for Imperial units of ft-lb and RPM.
If instead you use SI units NM and Radians/Sec you'll find the 7.04 disappears and a single constant, which i call "Metric K", works for both torque and voltage.
You should prove that for yourself. See this thread, especially post 23.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-motor-the-same-regardless-of-voltage.911438/

Any help?

old jim

• Informative
Likes anorlunda

1. What is torque in a DC motor?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force or twisting force that a motor can produce. In a DC motor, torque is the force that causes the motor's rotor to rotate.

2. How is torque calculated in a DC motor?

The equation for calculating torque in a DC motor is T = Kt * I, where T is torque, Kt is the torque constant, and I is the current flowing through the motor's coils.

3. What is the relationship between torque and speed in a DC motor?

The relationship between torque and speed in a DC motor is inversely proportional. This means that as torque increases, speed decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation T = Kt * I, where Kt is a constant value.

4. How does the voltage affect torque in a DC motor?

In a DC motor, voltage is directly proportional to torque. This means that as voltage increases, torque also increases. This relationship is described by the equation T = Kt * I, where I is the current flowing through the motor's coils.

5. How can torque be increased in a DC motor?

Torque can be increased in a DC motor by increasing the current flowing through the motor's coils. This can be achieved by increasing the voltage or using a larger motor with more coils. Additionally, using a gear system can also increase torque by increasing the effective force applied to the motor's shaft.