Invariance of scalar products on Lie algebras

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a scalar product in a Lie algebra to be invariant under the adjoint action of the Lie algebra and the group. The idea for the proof is to show that if the scalar product is invariant under Ad, then it is also invariant under ad. This can be achieved by differentiating a function and using the fact that if the group is connected, ad-invariance implies Ad-invariance. The conversation concludes with gratitude for any further hints or assistance.
SergejVictorov
Hi folks,

If I have a Lie algebra [tex] \mathfrak{g} [/tex] with an invariant (under the adjoint action ad of the Lie algebra) scalar product, what are the conditions that this scalar product is also invariant under the adjoint action Ad of the group? For instance, the Killing form is invariant under both actions. Is this also true in general?

My idea for the proof would be the following: If I know that the scalar product is invariant under Ad, then for any fixed vectors v,w in the Lie algebra, the function
[tex] f: G \rightarrow \mathbf{R} [/tex]
[tex] \ g \mapsto \langle Ad(g)v, Ad(g)w \rangle [/tex]
is constant, i.e.
[tex] f(g)=f(1)=k [/tex]
By differentiating this function, I should be able to obtain the converse of the statement I need. I hope that this can be used to derive a condition for the invariance under Ad, given the invariance under ad.

I would be grateful for any hints since I'm stuck with this very crude ansatz.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the group is connected, then ad-invariance will automatically imply Ad-invariance. Basically, ad-invariance implies that this function f that you've defined is locally constant (since its differential will be 0). If G is connected, then locally constant implies constant.

Hope this helps!

rmehta said:
If the group is connected, then ad-invariance will automatically imply Ad-invariance. Basically, ad-invariance implies that this function f that you've defined is locally constant (since its differential will be 0). If G is connected, then locally constant implies constant.

Hope this helps!

Thank you!

1. What is the concept of invariance of scalar products on Lie algebras?

The concept of invariance of scalar products on Lie algebras refers to the idea that the inner product between two elements in a Lie algebra remains unchanged under certain transformations. These transformations are known as automorphisms, and they preserve the structure of the Lie algebra while mapping elements to new elements.

2. Why is invariance of scalar products important in the study of Lie algebras?

Invariance of scalar products is important in the study of Lie algebras because it allows for the development of a consistent and meaningful notion of orthogonality and angle between elements in the algebra. This is crucial for understanding the geometric and algebraic properties of Lie groups and their associated Lie algebras.

3. Can you provide an example of a Lie algebra with an invariant scalar product?

Yes, the Lie algebra of 3x3 skew-symmetric matrices, also known as the Lie algebra of the special orthogonal group SO(3), has an invariant scalar product defined by the trace operation. This means that the inner product between two matrices in this algebra remains unchanged under any automorphism.

4. How does invariance of scalar products relate to the concept of Lie groups?

Invariance of scalar products is closely related to the concept of Lie groups because the Lie algebra of a Lie group is defined as the tangent space at the identity element, and it inherits the group's structure and properties. Therefore, the invariance of scalar products on the Lie algebra corresponds to the invariance of the group's inner product under automorphisms.

5. Does invariance of scalar products hold for all Lie algebras?

No, invariance of scalar products does not hold for all Lie algebras. It only holds for certain types of Lie algebras, such as semi-simple Lie algebras, which have a non-degenerate Killing form that satisfies certain properties. Other Lie algebras, such as solvable or nilpotent ones, may not have an invariant scalar product.