Oxide Aluminum with Mercury:A Popsci Experiment

In summary, this article tells the story of a way to quickly rust aluminum using mercury, and it seems to work as described. The brown "rust" around the metal in the picture seems odd, but I'm not sure why the mercury would be reacting with anything in this instance.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
I saw this arcticle on popular science's web site:
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,693558,00.html

it tells about a way using mercury paste to make aluminum rust, very fast and crumble to dust.

as you can see in their picture, it apearently is true, and as they explain in the article, the mercury infiltrates the metal and disrupts its protective coating of aluminum oxide, allowing it to oxidize much more compleatly then normal, because its protective barrier is gone.

if you look at the "rust" around the base of the aluminum bar they destroyed, it looks dark brown or black, which seems odd to me, considering aluminum oxide is while, mercury is silver, and aluminum is silvery. aluminum oxide is extreamly stable and wouldn't want to normally react with the mercury, so why is all that stuff brown? mercury oxides are that color (HgO is yellow or red and Hg2O is black) but why would the mercury be reacting with anything in this instance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mercury is greyish black, and amalgams may differ in color. In here, I think the mercury-aluminum alloy (an aluminum amalgam) is quickly oxidized. It "separates" some of the aluminum to react, I think.

but the paste you put on the surfave of the aluminum can only be put on so thick, and then once it is used up (fairly quickly I would think if the mercury goes directly into the aluminum-mercury allow) then it should stop, fairly quickly. but this seems to go on for hours, or longer it didnt say, and keeps going, I would think the mercury would have long been used up if that is the case.

I'm pretty sure mercury is just acting as a catalyst and remains free after the reaction.

O, but that doesn't explain the weird color of the "rust" shown in the picture anyway.

O well, that would be a cool reaction to test if, at least, mercury wasnt so blooming deadly.

1. What is "Oxide Aluminum with Mercury"?

"Oxide Aluminum with Mercury" is a popsci experiment that involves combining aluminum oxide and liquid mercury to create a chemical reaction. This reaction produces a colorful and visually appealing display that is commonly used in science demonstrations and experiments.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need aluminum oxide powder, liquid mercury, a stirring rod, a beaker or container, and safety equipment such as gloves and goggles. The exact amounts of each material will vary depending on the specific experiment you are conducting.

3. How does the reaction between oxide aluminum and mercury work?

The reaction between oxide aluminum and mercury is a redox reaction, where the aluminum oxide is reduced and the mercury is oxidized. This results in the production of aluminum and mercuric oxide, which is responsible for the colorful display. The reaction also produces heat, which causes the liquid mercury to evaporate and form a vapor that is visible as a silver cloud.

4. Is this experiment safe to conduct at home?

No, this experiment is not safe to conduct at home. Liquid mercury is a toxic substance and should only be handled by trained professionals in a controlled laboratory setting. The reaction also produces heat, which can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken.

5. What are some variations of this experiment?

There are several variations of this experiment that you can try, such as using different metals in place of aluminum, or using different liquids in place of mercury. You can also vary the amounts of each material or change the conditions, such as temperature, to see how it affects the reaction. However, it is important to always follow safety guidelines and consult with a professional before conducting any experiments involving potentially hazardous materials.

Back