Register to reply

Extending automorphism groups to inner automorphism groups.

by Kreizhn
Tags: automorphism, extending, groups
Share this thread:
Kreizhn
Jun24-11, 11:41 AM
P: 743
I wanted to make clear just a quick technical thing. If G is a group, N is a normal subgroup, and [itex] \phi_g \in \text{Inn}(G), \phi_g(h) = g h g^{-1} [/itex] then [itex] \phi_g [/itex] is an automorphism of N, right? However, is it the case that we cannot say that [itex] \phi_g [/itex] is an inner automorphism, since we are not guaranteed that [itex] g \in N [/itex]? I think this is the case, but I just want to be clear.

Furthermore, is it then possible to extend any group to a larger group such that all automorphisms are given by inner automorphisms from the larger group? More precisely, if G is a group, is there always an injective homomorphism [itex] G \to H [/itex] such that [itex] \text{Aut}(G) \cong \text{Inn}(H) [/itex] ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
micromass
Jun24-11, 01:19 PM
Mentor
P: 18,038
Hi Kreizhn!

Quote Quote by Kreizhn View Post
I wanted to make clear just a quick technical thing. If G is a group, N is a normal subgroup, and [itex] \phi_g \in \text{Inn}(G), \phi_g(h) = g h g^{-1} [/itex] then [itex] \phi_g [/itex] is an automorphism of N, right? However, is it the case that we cannot say that [itex] \phi_g [/itex] is an inner automorphism, since we are not guaranteed that [itex] g \in N [/itex]? I think this is the case, but I just want to be clear.
That is correct.

Furthermore, is it then possible to extend any group to a larger group such that all automorphisms are given by inner automorphisms from the larger group? More precisely, if G is a group, is there always an injective homomorphism [itex] G \to H [/itex] such that [itex] \text{Aut}(G) \cong \text{Inn}(H) [/itex] ?
Indeed, let G be our group we wish to extend. Let T be a group such that there exists an epimorphism

[tex]\phi:T\rightarrow Aut(G)[/tex]

(for example, take [itex]T=Aut(G)[/itex]), then the semidirect product [itex]G\rtimes_{\varphi} T[/itex] is an extension you're looking for. Indeed, automorphism of G has the form [itex]\phi(h):=\phi_h[/itex]. And by construction of the semidirect product, we have that for each g in G

[tex]\phi_h(g)=hgh^{-1}[/tex]

So the automorphisms of G are inner automorphisms of the semidirect product...
Kreizhn
Jun24-11, 01:30 PM
P: 743
I shall have to go back and look at my notes on semi-direct products a bit more to understand this fully, but thanks.

Register to reply