Understanding Photon Velocity: Impact on Mass and Life Span Explained

• Thread starter YoungDreamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of velocity, mass, and time in relation to photons. It is mentioned that photons cannot be at rest and do not have a sense of time. The question of whether a photon at rest has an increased mass and infinite lifespan is also brought up, and it is explained that photons are massless and not subject to the laws of relativity. It is also noted that the fact that photons have no rest mass helps explain how they can reach the speed of light instantaneously.
YoungDreamer
I am posting this under the belief that velocity affects mass and time, if my understanding is incorrect please correct it.

If a photon is traveling at C then theoretically does it have an increased mass compared to a photon that is "at rest"?

And if a photon is moving at C then does it have an infinite "life span"?

Science news on Phys.org
It is obvious that a photon does not have a "sense" of time. But thanks for the link.

YoungDreamer said:
It is obvious that a photon does not have a "sense" of time. But thanks for the link.

I guess you're asking if a photon, observed by external 'stationary' (which will always be stationary to light's velocity of c) system appears to suffer time dilation, in this case infinite. Obviously no, because they can be destroyed in a matter of attoseconds and less.

But photons are massless and not party to the whole relativity time, length, mass thing anyway.

Pengwuino said:
Photons do not have a rest frame and cannot be at rest...

I agree. Photons exist only at c or not at all.
This curious phenomenon is not seen elsewhere in nature(to my understanding that is)

However, that fact that a photon has no "rest mass" helps, somewhat, in our query as to how it can go from 0 to c instantaneously.

1. What is photon velocity?

Photon velocity is the speed at which photons, or particles of light, travel through space. It is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe, at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How does photon velocity impact mass?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its mass increases. This is known as relativistic mass and is directly related to photon velocity.

3. How does photon velocity impact the life span of a photon?

Since photons travel at the speed of light, they do not experience time in the same way that we do. Therefore, from the perspective of a photon, its life span is instantaneous, as it does not experience the passage of time. However, from an outside observer's perspective, a photon's life span can be measured based on distance traveled and the speed of light.

4. Can photon velocity be changed?

No, photon velocity cannot be changed. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and cannot be altered.

5. How does understanding photon velocity impact our daily lives?

While understanding photon velocity may not have a direct impact on our daily lives, it is important in fields such as physics, astronomy, and telecommunications. Our understanding of photon velocity has led to advancements in technology and has allowed us to better understand the universe and how it works.