Is Complexifying an Integral the Solution for Tricky Integrands?

• Thread starter HotMintea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of complexifying the integral \int\ sin{x}\, \ cos{x}\, \ e^x\, \ dx\ by expressing the integrand as Re(e^{\alpha x}). The conversation also includes a solution attempt using this method and a discussion on whether it is effective.
HotMintea
1. The problem statement

1.1. Is it possible to do [itex] \int\ sin{x}\, \ cos{x}\, \ e^x\, \ dx\ [/itex] by complexifying the integral? (Note: not by integration by parts.)

Complexifying the Integral (Arthur Mattuck, MIT) [9:23]

1.2. When is it appropriate to complexify an integral, beside the condition that the integrand can be expressed as [itex] Re (\ e^{\alpha x})\, \ [/itex]?

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex] \begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\int\ sin{x}\, \ cos{x}\, \ e^{x}\, \ dx\ =\\
\int\ Re(\ e^{i(\frac{\pi}{2}\ -\ x)}\ )\, \ Re(\ e^{ix})\, \ e^{x}\ dx\ =\\
Re\int\ e^{i(\frac{\pi}{2}\ -\ x)}\, \ e^{ix}\, \ e^{x}\ dx\ =\\
Re\int\ i\ e^x\, \ dx\ =\\
- Im( e^x )\ + \ C\, \, (?)
\end{split}
\end{equation*} [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi HotMintea! :smile:

You've made a mistake in your solution. You seem to think that Re(z)Re(z')=Re(zz'), but this is not the case. The real part doesn't behave that way. Thus you cannot say

[tex]Re(e^{i(\pi/2-x)})Re(e^{ix})=Re(e^{i(\pi/2-x)+ix})[/tex]

Instead, it would be better to use some trigonometric formula's in the beginning:

[tex]\sin(x)\cos(x)=\frac{\sin(2x)}{2}[/tex]

Hi micromass! :smile:

Thank you for pointing out my mistake and also for the suggestion.

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\int\ sin{x}\, \ cos{x}\, \ e^x\ dx\, = \, \frac{1}{2}\int\ sin{2x}\, \ e^x\ dx\, \ = \\ \frac{1}{2}\, \ Re\int\ e^{i(\frac{\pi}{2} - 2x)}\, \ e^x\, \ dx\, = \, \ \frac{1}{2}\ Re(\frac{i}{1-2i}\ e^{(1-2i)x})\, \ + \, \ C\, \ = \\ \frac{1}{10}\ e^x\ Re((i-2)(cos{2x}-isin{2x}))\, +\, \ C\, \ = \, \frac{1}{10}\ e^x\, \ (sin{2x}-2cos{2x})\, \ + \, \ C
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

It now seems to me that complexification works and is effective if an integrand can be rewritten as [itex] Re(e^{\alpha x}[/itex]). Am I correct?

HotMintea said:
Hi micromass! :smile:

Thank you for pointing out my mistake and also for the suggestion.

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\int\ sin{x}\, \ cos{x}\, \ e^x\ dx\, = \, \frac{1}{2}\int\ sin{2x}\, \ e^x\ dx\, \ = \\ \frac{1}{2}\, \ Re\int\ e^{i(\frac{\pi}{2} - 2x)}\, \ e^x\, \ dx\, = \, \ \frac{1}{2}\ Re(\frac{i}{1-2i}\ e^{(1-2i)x})\, \ + \, \ C\, \ = \\ \frac{1}{10}\ e^x\ Re((i-2)(cos{2x}-isin{2x}))\, +\, \ C\, \ = \, \frac{1}{10}\ e^x\, \ (sin{2x}-2cos{2x})\, \ + \, \ C
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]
In the very last step, you should write 1/5 instead of 1/10. For the rest you are correct.

It now seems to me that complexification works and is effective if an integrand can be rewritten as [itex] Re(e^{\alpha x}[/itex]). Am I correct?

Yes, that's true! :smile:

micromass said:
In the very last step, you should write 1/5 instead of 1/10. For the rest you are correct.

1/10 seems correct: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=int+cos%28x%29sin%28x%29e^x+dx&asynchronous=false&equal=Submit

Thanks again for your help! :smile:

Related to Is Complexifying an Integral the Solution for Tricky Integrands?

1. What is the purpose of complexifying an integral?

The purpose of complexifying an integral is to simplify the calculation of real integrals. By converting the integral into a complex integral, we can often use techniques from complex analysis to solve it more easily.

2. How is an integral complexified?

An integral is complexified by replacing the real variable with a complex variable and extending the integration path into the complex plane. This results in a complex integral that can be solved using techniques from complex analysis.

3. What are the benefits of using complex analysis to solve integrals?

Complex analysis allows us to use powerful techniques such as the Cauchy integral theorem and residue theorem to solve integrals that may be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a deeper understanding of the behavior of integrals.

4. Can any integral be complexified?

Not all integrals can be complexified, as it depends on the nature of the integrand and the limits of integration. Some integrals may require a different approach or cannot be solved using complex analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to complexifying an integral?

While complexifying an integral can often simplify the calculation, it may also introduce complications such as branch cuts and singularities in the complex plane. It is important to consider these limitations and use caution when using complex analysis to solve integrals.