Why can one do this "trick" in the First Order Linear D.E. method?

• Thread starter Ebby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
Ebby
Homework Statement
Explain the First Order Linear D.E. method
Relevant Equations
Can you explain the step shown below?
If we have a first order d.e. like: $$\frac {dy} {dx} - \frac y x = 1$$
I would use two subs, namely: ##y = uv## and ##\frac {dy} {dx} = u \frac {dv} {dx} + v \frac {du} {dx}##

So I get: ##\frac {dy} {dx} = u \frac {dv} {dx} + v \frac {du} {dx} - \frac {uv} {x} = 1##

I then factor like this: ##\frac {dy} {dx} = u \frac {dv} {dx} + v (\frac {du} {dx} - \frac {u} {x}) = 1##

I am then told that I can make ##\frac {du} {dx} - \frac {u} {x} = 0##. *Why* can I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ebby said:
Homework Statement: Explain the First Order Linear D.E. method
Relevant Equations: Can you explain the step shown below?

I would use two subs, namely: ##y = uv## and ##\frac {dy} {dx} = u \frac {dv} {dx} + v \frac {du} {dx}##

So I get: ##\frac {dy} {dx} = u \frac {dv} {dx} + v \frac {du} {dx} - \frac {uv} {x} = 1##

I then factor like this: ##\frac {dy} {dx} = u \frac {dv} {dx} + v (\frac {du} {dx} - \frac {u} {x}) = 1##

I am then told that I can make ##\frac {du} {dx} - \frac {u} {x} = 0##. *Why* can I do this?
Are you sure the trick isn't ## y = u x ##?

$$ \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{du}{dx}x + u $$

Then sub for ## \frac{dy}{dx}##

$$\frac{du}{dx}x + u - u = 1 $$

$$ \implies \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{x} $$

?

Likes WWGD and Delta2
Just solve ##u’(x) = u/x##. This is a simple homogeneous ODE with the general solution ##u(x) = Ax## for any constant ##A##.

Likes Ebby and MatinSAR
If the question is why you are allowed to pick a ##u## such that the ODE is satisfied: The substitution is valid for any ##u##.* The trick is to pick a ##u## such that the resulting ODE for ##v## takes a simpler form that allows you to solve it.

* Not any function of course. Suitable requirements on differentiability and not introducing additional zeros apply.

Likes Ebby, Delta2 and PhDeezNutz
Ebby said:

I doubt it too, just like @erobz . If you could do that, I your second expression in the equality would be 0, and in your chain of equalities, you would end up with ##\frac {dy}{dx}=1##, from which it follows that ##f(x)=x## is a solution, which it isn't , for your initial equation.

• Care
  • Skeptical
Likes Ebby, Orodruin and Delta2
Ebby said:

*Why* can I do this?
You can choose any ##u## OR any ##v## that makes the solution process easier. If you pick a certain ##u##, you got to adjust the ##v## accordingly so that ##v=\frac{y}{u}## and similar if you chose a certain ##v##.

Beware that the "OR" is exclusive, that is you are not free to choose both of ##u ,v## because as i said before if you choose one the other becomes chosen already as y/"what you chose at first step".

Try choosing as ##v=c## that is a constant and see what happens too.

Likes Ebby and WWGD
he has a typo in his second long equality

It should be $$\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{y}{x}=...$$

Likes Ebby, WWGD and Orodruin
WWGD said:
I doubt it too, just like @erobz . If you could do that, I your second expression in the equality would be 0, and in your chain of equalities, you would end up with ##\frac {dy}{dx}=1##, from which it follows that ##f(x)=x## is a solution, which it isn't , for your initial equation.
As @Delta2 says, that’s just a typo in the OP. The original statement is
Ebby said:
##\frac {dy} {dx} = u \frac {dv} {dx} + v \frac {du} {dx}##
and the typo comes right after:
Ebby said:
where OP has forgotten to add ##-y/x## to the RHS.

The actual ODE leads to
$$
\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{Ax}
$$
where ##y(x) = Ax \,v(x)##.

Likes Ebby
I don't know what this whole idea about making substitutions is but I'm sure it amounts to the following:

The idea is to make the left side into a product rule via an integrating factor

If you have the equation

##\frac{dy}{dx} +p(x) y = g(x)##

If you multiply through by an "integrating factor" ## \mu \left(x\right) = e^{\int p(x)\,dx}## you will make the left hand side into a product rule.

In your case

##\frac{dy}{dx} + \left( - \frac{1}{x} \right) y = 1##

multiply through by ##\mu \left(x \right) = e^{\int -\frac{1}{x} \,dx} = \frac{1}{x}## which leads to

##\frac{1}{x} \frac{dy}{dx} - \frac{y}{x^2} = \frac{1}{x}##

Recognize the left as a product rule

##\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{y}{x}\right) = \frac{1}{x}##

Integrate both sides accounting for a "constant of integration" then isolate ##y## from ##x##

Plug it into the original differential equation and it works

This strategy is pretty standard, more on the "integrating factor" https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/classes/de/linear.aspx

Likes Ebby and WWGD
PhDeezNutz said:
I don't know what this whole idea about making substitutions is but I'm sure it amounts to the following:

The idea is to make the left side into a product rule via an integrating factor

If you have the equation

##\frac{dy}{dx} +p(x) y = g(x)##

If you multiply through by an "integrating factor" ## \mu \left(x\right) = e^{\int p(x)\,dx}## you will make the left hand side into a product rule.

In your case

##\frac{dy}{dx} + \left( - \frac{1}{x} \right) y = 1##

multiply through by ##\mu \left(x \right) = e^{\int -\frac{1}{x} \,dx} = \frac{1}{x}## which leads to

##\frac{1}{x} \frac{dy}{dx} - \frac{y}{x^2} = \frac{1}{x}##

Recognize the left as a product rule

##\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{y}{x}\right) = \frac{1}{x}##

Integrate both sides accounting for a "constant of integration" then isolate ##y## from ##x##

Plug it into the original differential equation and it works

This strategy is pretty standard, more on the "integrating factor" https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/classes/de/linear.aspx
This is similar to the idea for finding weak solutions to DEs.

Likes Ebby and PhDeezNutz
WWGD said:
This is similar to the idea for finding weak solutions to DEs.
Didn't know that but now with that knowledge I have a direction to look in with insight you have given me!

Likes Ebby and WWGD
Ebby said:
I'm a bit confused because apparently I've made a typo but I simply used an example from this site about DEs (it's Example 1): https://www.mathsisfun.com/calculus/differential-equations-first-order-linear.html

Where exactly did I go wrong?
Ehm, except the typo you didn't do anything else wrong, you are right that you can choose a ##u## such that
$$\frac{du}{dx}-\frac{u}{x}=0$$, or any other condition that helps solve the ODE.

Likes Ebby
OK, I see the typo now. Phew. But let me ask the really dumb question:

Given that: $$u \frac {dv} {dx} + v(\frac {du} {dx} - \frac u x) = 1$$

Why can we say that, algebraically: $$\frac {du} {dx} - \frac u x = 0$$

? I know, I'm really stupid...

You got to try to read -while paying some attention -of all the previous posts here

But anyway I am gonna say it again.

You CAN CHOOSE a ##u## such that ##\frac{du}{dx}-\frac{u}{x}=0##. You are free to choose any ##u## you like. You are also free to choose any ##v## you like. But not both.

Likes Ebby and MatinSAR
Ebby said:
OK, I see the typo now. Phew. But let me ask the really dumb question:

Given that: $$u \frac {dv} {dx} + v(\frac {du} {dx} - \frac u x) = 1$$

Why can we say that, algebraically: $$\frac {du} {dx} - \frac u x = 0$$

? I know, I'm really stupid...
Post #4, extra emphasis:
Orodruin said:
If the question is why you are allowed to pick a ##u## such that the ODE is satisfied: The substitution is valid for any ##u##.* The trick is to pick a ##u## such that the resulting ODE for ##v## takes a simpler form that allows you to solve it.

* Not any function of course. Suitable requirements on differentiability and not introducing additional zeros apply.

Likes Ebby and MatinSAR
Ok I kinda am within your mind and now you ask
"Why I am free to choose any u i like???, u, v are supposed to be specific functions"

##u , v## are just functions that satisfy ##y=uv## (and y satisfies that given ODE).

But ##u,v## are not so specific.
Lets say for example that ##y=x^4+x^2## (i dont think that this y satisfies the given ODE but it doesnt matter you ll see my point as you go on reading here)

You can write ##y=x^2(x^2+1)## or ##y=x^3(x+\frac{1}{x})##

So you can choose as ##u=x^2, v=x^2+1## or ##u=x^3, v=x+\frac{1}{x}##

I think now you should be able to understand why u,v are not so specific.

Likes Ebby and MatinSAR
I mean, you could choose ##u = e^{x + 4i}- \ln(x^x)##, but that would not make the differential equation for ##v## any simpler. The trick is to pick a ##u## that makes the ODE for ##v## simpler. In this case, such a ##u## satisfies that particular ODE because that means a term disappears.

Likes Ebby and MatinSAR
Even if one wants to choose as ##u## as given at post #18, you can choose as ##v=\frac{x^4+x^2}{e^{x+4i}-\ln{x^x}}## and again you will have that ##y=uv## holds.

Likes Ebby and MatinSAR
Thank you. I now understand.

I think if someone had said, "Think that you are choosing to make ## \frac {du} {dx} = \frac u x ## so that the ## v ## term disappears, rather than thinking ## \frac {du} {dx} - \frac u x = 0 ##," it would have been clearer to me. Anyway, thank you all. This has been helpful in a more far reaching sense.

Likes WWGD

1. Why can we separate variables in the First Order Linear D.E. method?

Separating variables is a common technique used in solving first order linear differential equations. This method works because the variables can be isolated on opposite sides of the equation, making it easier to integrate both sides separately.

2. Why do we need to find an integrating factor in the First Order Linear D.E. method?

Finding an integrating factor is necessary in order to transform a first order linear differential equation into an exact differential equation. This allows us to solve the equation by integrating both sides and finding a general solution.

3. Why does the integrating factor make the equation exact in the First Order Linear D.E. method?

The integrating factor is a function that is used to multiply the entire differential equation, which helps to make it exact. By multiplying the equation by the integrating factor, we are able to rewrite the equation in a form where the total derivative of a function can be found, making it easier to solve.

4. Why can we integrate both sides of the equation in the First Order Linear D.E. method?

Integrating both sides of the equation is a crucial step in solving first order linear differential equations. By integrating both sides, we are able to find the antiderivative of each side separately, which allows us to find a general solution to the differential equation.

5. Why is the general solution of a First Order Linear D.E. method expressed in terms of an arbitrary constant?

The general solution of a first order linear differential equation includes an arbitrary constant because it represents all possible solutions to the equation. This constant accounts for the fact that there are multiple solutions that can satisfy the original differential equation, and it allows us to express the solution in a more general form.