Casimir's Trick/Evaluating Cross Sections

by Spriteling
Tags: casimir, cross, sections, trick or evaluating
Spriteling
Jul18-11, 01:36 PM
P: 36
Hi all.

I'm working on a project at the moment, and I've run into some questions regarding the 4-d Levi Civita tensor contracted with the metric tensor.

I'm working on finding the cross-section for neutrino-proton scattering. While ccontracting the hadronic and leptonic tensors, I end up with a term like [itex]i \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu} k'_{\alpha}k_{\beta}g^{\mu \nu}[/itex] but I am uncertain as to how to evaluate this term. I've looked all through Griffiths and Halzen and Marten and I've googled but I can't find a definitive answer. Can anyone help?
(I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section; I wasn't sure if it should go here, as it is related to HEP, or int he homework help thing, which it isn't really, but it is a question..)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
fzero
Jul18-11, 02:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,606
Symmetry of the metric ([itex]g^{\mu \nu}=g^{\nu \mu}[/itex]) and total antisymmetry of [itex] \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu}[/itex] imply that [itex]\epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu}g^{\mu \nu}=0[/itex] (together with all possible permutations of indices). So all terms of that form vanish.
Spriteling
Jul18-11, 02:58 PM
P: 36
Ah, that makes quite a lot of sense.

What if, on the other hand, you have a term like [itex]i \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu} k'_{\alpha}k_{\beta}P^{\mu} P^{\nu}[/itex]? k, k' and P are all 4-vectors. How would you be able to evaluate this?

fzero
Jul18-11, 06:35 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,606

Casimir's Trick/Evaluating Cross Sections

The product [itex]P^\mu P^\nu[/itex] is symmetric under [itex]\mu\leftrightarrow\nu[/itex], so that term vanishes by symmetry as well. If there were a prime on one of the [itex]P[/itex]s, it would not.

To anticipate the next logical question, we can ask how to express [itex]i \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu} k'^{\alpha}k^{\beta}P^{\mu} P'^{\nu}[/itex]. There really isn't any simpler form to reduce it to, but we can note that

[itex]i \epsilon_{\alpha \mu \beta \nu} k'^{\alpha}k^{\beta}P^{\mu} P'^{\nu} = i\left( k'^0k^1P^2 P'^3 \pm \text{permutations} \right).[/itex]

Register to reply