I really with this Pre Calculus problem =[

In summary, the conversation is about different equations involving x and y, including a square root and absolute value. The speaker suggests plugging in numbers and plotting points to better understand the graph. The notation used is not clear.
izzyfashooo
sketch and graph
1. y= [x][/3] +2
2. y= squareroot x-3
3. y= Ix-2I
4. y= [y][/2] - 1

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're not sure what the graph looks like, then just plug in some numbers for x, (x=1, x=2, x=3) and then plot the points. Then just connect them with a smooth line.

I don't actually understand your notation. What are those square brackets and "I"s?

izzyfashooo said:
sketch and graph
1. y= [x][/3] +2
2. y= squareroot x-3
3. y= Ix-2I
4. y= [y][/2] - 1

I don't understand even one of these. What do the square brackets mean?

But I'll take a stab at (2) :tongue2:

http://fooplot.com/index.php?q0=sqrt(x-3)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes what are the square brackets?

I think it's pretty straight forward, albeit bizarre notation. The brackets mean nothing, and the "I...I" are supposed to be absolute value bars "|...|".

What is Pre Calculus?

Pre Calculus is a high school level mathematics course that covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus concepts.

Why do people struggle with Pre Calculus?

People may struggle with Pre Calculus because it requires strong understanding of algebra and geometry concepts, as well as the ability to think abstractly and apply logical reasoning.

What are some tips for solving Pre Calculus problems?

Some tips for solving Pre Calculus problems include practicing regularly, breaking down the problem into smaller steps, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed.

How can I improve my skills in Pre Calculus?

To improve your skills in Pre Calculus, you can practice regularly, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and use online resources such as practice problems and videos.

Is it normal to struggle with Pre Calculus?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with Pre Calculus as it is a challenging subject for many individuals. The key is to keep practicing and seeking help when needed in order to improve and succeed in the course.