Finding argument of complex number

In summary: Yes, I think dealing with ##z## instead of ##x + iy## is best. Also note that ##z^2- \frac{1}{z^2} = (z+\frac{1}{z})(z-\frac{1}{z})## may help. That's how I did it.It does seem like brute force to me though. I bet someone has a more clever solution.I will try this and brute force it. Thank you very much haruspex and DaveE
songoku
Homework Statement
For ##z+\frac 1 z = 1+ 2i##, find ##|z^2 - \frac{1}{z^2}|##
Relevant Equations
conjugate

modulus of complex number: ##|z|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}##
Let: ##z=x+iy##

$$z+\frac 1 z =1+2i$$
$$x+iy +\frac{1}{x+iy}=1+2i$$
$$x+iy+\frac{1}{x+iy} . \frac{x-iy}{x-iy}=1+2i$$
$$x+iy+\frac{x-iy}{x^2+y^2}=1+2i$$
$$\frac{x^3+xy^2+x+i(x^2y+y^3-y)}{x^2+y^2}=1+2i$$

So:
$$\frac{x^3+xy^2+x}{x^2+y^2}=1$$
$$x^3+xy^2+x=x^2+y^2$$

and
$$\frac{x^2y+y^3-y}{x^2+y^2}=2$$
$$x^2y+y^3-y=2(x^2+y^2)$$

Combining the two equations: ##x^2y+y^3-y=2(x^3+xy^2+x)##

How to solve that equation? Or maybe there is another approach to this question?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: For ##z+\frac 1 z = 1+ 2i##
Not sure it's the best, but an obvious thing to try is to solve that quadratic

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Yes, I think dealing with ##z## instead of ##x + iy## is best. Also note that ##z^2- \frac{1}{z^2} = (z+\frac{1}{z})(z-\frac{1}{z})## may help. That's how I did it.

It does seem like brute force to me though. I bet someone has a more clever solution.

Likes songoku
DaveE said:
It does seem like brute force to me though. I bet someone has a more clever solution.
Yes, I suspect there's a neat way which avoids finding z.
I tried ##|z^2-z^{-2}|=\frac{|z^2-1|}{|z|}\frac{|z^2+1|}{|z|}=\frac{|z^2-1|}{|z|}|1+2i|##, but it wasn't obvious where to go from there.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
DaveE said:
Yes, I think dealing with ##z## instead of ##x + iy## is best. Also note that ##z^2- \frac{1}{z^2} = (z+\frac{1}{z})(z-\frac{1}{z})## may help. That's how I did it.

I will try this and brute force it. Thank you very much haruspex and DaveE

There is a relatively simple solution. I show it to you after you make an attempt yourself with these hints:

1) Stay with z, not the rectangular or polar forms.
2) I preferred to say ##Z_o \equiv z+\frac{1}{z} = 1+2i ## but this was mostly to save writing ##1+2i ## repeatedly.
3) Solve the quadratic equation to get roots ##Z_{1,2}## in terms of ##Z_o##.
4) Factor ##z^2-\frac{1}{z^2}## as in my previous post. Simplify this function by substituting ##Z_o## as much as possible.
5) Substitute the quadratic roots ##Z_{1,2}## into the simplified form of ##z^2-\frac{1}{z^2}##.

You will get a relatively simple answer without ever actually putting in the value of ##Z_o## until the end. The algebra should never get really messy.

If you get stuck, describe where/what/how and I'll help.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
I think this solution is fairly easy
## (z+\frac{1}{z})^2 = -3+4i ##
Then ## z^2+2+ \frac{1}{z^2} = -3+4i ##
if you subtract 4 from both sides it is ## (z-\frac{1}{z})^2 = -7 + 4i ##
Now we know what ##(z^2-\frac{1}{z^2})^2## is
and from here it can easily be calculated.

Likes SammyS, PeroK, songoku and 1 other person
Sunay_ said:
if you subtract 4 from both sides it is ## (z-\frac{1}{z})^2 = -7 + 4i ##
Now we know what ##(z^2-\frac{1}{z^2})^2## is...
Do you mean: "now we know what ##(z-\frac{1}{z})^2## is" ?

DaveE said:
There is a relatively simple solution. I show it to you after you make an attempt yourself with these hints:

1) Stay with z, not the rectangular or polar forms.
2) I preferred to say ##Z_o \equiv z+\frac{1}{z} = 1+2i ## but this was mostly to save writing ##1+2i ## repeatedly.
3) Solve the quadratic equation to get roots ##Z_{1,2}## in terms of ##Z_o##.
4) Factor ##z^2-\frac{1}{z^2}## as in my previous post. Simplify this function by substituting ##Z_o## as much as possible.
5) Substitute the quadratic roots ##Z_{1,2}## into the simplified form of ##z^2-\frac{1}{z^2}##.

You will get a relatively simple answer without ever actually putting in the value of ##Z_o## until the end. The algebra should never get really messy.

If you get stuck, describe where/what/how and I'll help.
I tried this and I think I also got the same result using method suggested by @Sunay_

In the end, I need to find ##\sqrt{-7+4i}## and then multiply by ##1+2i## to get ##z^2-\frac{1}{z^2}## and after that finding the modulus.

I also tried brute force and it almost cost me my life

Using @DaveE method:
$$z+\frac 1 z=Z_o$$
$$z^2-Z_o z+1=0$$
$$z=\frac{Z_o \pm \sqrt{Z_o^2-4}}{2}$$

Then
$$z^2-\frac{1}{z^2}=\left(z+\frac 1 z \right)\left(z - \frac 1 z\right)$$
$$=Z_o(2z-Z_o)$$
$$=Z_o(2 . \frac{Z_o \pm \sqrt{Z_o^2-4}}{2} - Z_o)$$
$$=\pm Z_o \sqrt{Z_o^2 - 4}$$

Edit: Wait, I think I understand what @Sunay_ meant by we know ##\left(z^2-\frac{1}{z^2}\right)^2##. I will try and compare

Likes Sunay_ and DaveE
songoku said:
Do you mean: "now we know what ##(z-\frac{1}{z})^2## is" ?I tried this and I think I also got the same result using method suggested by @Sunay_

In the end, I need to find ##\sqrt{-7+4i}## and then multiply by ##1+2i## to get ##z^2-\frac{1}{z^2}## and after that finding the modulus.

I also tried brute force and it almost cost me my life

Using @DaveE method:
$$z+\frac 1 z=Z_o$$
$$z^2-Z_o z+1=0$$
$$z=\frac{Z_o \pm \sqrt{Z_o^2-4}}{2}$$

Then
$$z^2-\frac{1}{z^2}=\left(z+\frac 1 z \right)\left(z - \frac 1 z\right)$$
$$=Z_o(2z-Z_o)$$
$$=Z_o(2 . \frac{Z_o \pm \sqrt{Z_o^2-4}}{2} - Z_o)$$
$$=Z_o \sqrt{Z_o^2 - 4}$$
Yes, although you left out the ##\pm## part at the end, because of the square root. Of course it doesn't matter if you only need the magnitude.

Both methods are basically the same. When @Sunay_ "completed the square" that was equivalent to the quadratic formula. I think her method is a little nicer, maybe shorter, but I wouldn't have a good argument why.

Likes PeroK, songoku and Sunay_
DaveE said:
Yes, although you left out the ##\pm## part at the end, because of the square root. Of course it doesn't matter if you only need the magnitude.
Yes, I just realized it
DaveE said:
Both methods are basically the same. When @Sunay_ "completed the square" that was equivalent to the quadratic formula. I think her method is a little nicer, maybe shorter, but I wouldn't have a good argument why.
I also think @Sunay_ method is shorter but not everytime I can think of that method by myself so I am okay with longer method (as long as it is easier for me to find it) although it takes more time during the test

Thank you very much for all the help and explanation haruspex, DaveE and Sunay_

Likes Sunay_ and DaveE
Here's another variation:
$$z + \frac 1 z = w \ \Rightarrow \ 2z = w \pm \sqrt{w^2 - 4} \ \ (quadratic)$$
$$2z = (z + \frac 1 z) + (z - \frac 1 z) = w + (z - \frac 1 z)$$
$$\therefore \ z - \frac 1 z = \pm \sqrt{w^2 - 4}$$
$$z^2 - \frac 1 {z^2} = (z + \frac 1 z)(z - \frac 1 z) = \pm w\sqrt{w^2 - 4}$$

Last edited:
Likes songoku and DaveE

What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle formed between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the complex number on the complex plane. It is typically represented by the Greek letter theta (θ) and is measured in radians or degrees.

How do I find the argument of a complex number?

To find the argument of a complex number, you can use the formula arg(z) = tan^-1(b/a), where z is the complex number a + bi and a and b are the real and imaginary components, respectively. Alternatively, you can also use the polar form of a complex number, z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the modulus (or absolute value) of the complex number and θ is the argument.

What is the range of possible values for the argument of a complex number?

The range of possible values for the argument of a complex number is from -π to π radians or from -180° to 180°. This is because the argument is essentially an angle, and angles are typically measured in this range.

Why is it important to find the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is important because it allows us to visualize and understand the position of the complex number on the complex plane. It also helps us to perform operations on complex numbers, such as multiplication and division, in a more efficient manner.

Can the argument of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the argument of a complex number can be negative. This occurs when the complex number is located in the third or fourth quadrant of the complex plane, where the angle formed is measured clockwise from the positive real axis. However, it is more common to express the argument as a positive value between 0 and 2π (or 0° and 360°).