Does a straight non-time-dependent E field create a circular B field?

by zheng89120
Tags: circular, field, nontimedependent, straight
zheng89120
Sep20-11, 10:54 AM
P: 152
I was under the impression that it does, you know from Ampere's law. But today, my professor told me that Electric and Magnetic fields are very similar (although I can't imagine they are exactly the same, since there are no magnetic monopoles), THAT a non-time dependent E field does not create a circular B field. Does this mean that a current in a wire is actually a time-dependent E field?

Thanks.

PS. the course that this was from was Relativistic Electrodynamics.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Bill_K
Sep20-11, 11:26 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,856
No, in this example there is no E field. It's the current in the wire that creates the B field.
vanhees71
Sep21-11, 03:05 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,147
Nevertheless, relativity tells us that there is not a seperated E and B field, but only one electromagnetic field. If you have in one frame of reference a pure electrostatic E field in another frame of reference, moving relative to the first, you have both an E and a B field. Both fields together make up the electromagnetic field. (E,B) are the components of an antisymmetric 2nd-rank tensor in Minkowski space.

Bill_K
Sep21-11, 04:10 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,856

Does a straight non-time-dependent E field create a circular B field?

That's quite true, but has nothing to do with the present thread. The question was, "is the current in a wire actually a time-dependent E field?" and the answer is no.
TrickyDicky
Sep22-11, 07:08 AM
P: 2,896
Quote Quote by Bill_K View Post
No, in this example there is no E field. It's the current in the wire that creates the B field.
Actually, there was at some moment an E field (for the current to be there in the first place) but no longer there is, whether one decides to attribute the B field to this E field change or to the actual current it makes no difference at all.

Register to reply