Work/Energy graph of car problem?

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Graph
In summary: If the force is applied in the opposite direction of the displacement, the work done is negative.In summary, the work-energy theorem can be used to find the speed of a 3.5 kg radio-controlled model car initially at rest at x=0 and being acted upon by a varying x-component force as it moves along a straight track. The force is both 2 N and 0 N at x=3.0m and the work done is represented by the area under the curve. The negative area under the curve represents negative work done. The speed of the car at x=7m can be found using the same method.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

A force is applied to a 3.5 kg radio-controlled model car parallel to the x-axis as it moves along a straight track. The x-component of the force varies with the x-coordinate of the car as shown in figure .Suppose the model car is initially at rest at x=0 and vector F is the net force acting on it.

Use the work-energy theorem to find the speed of the car at x=3.0m

YF-06-32.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]W_{tot} = \frac{1}{2}mv_{f}^{2}-\frac{1}{2}mv_{i}^{2}[/tex]
[tex]F = ma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At x=3 is the force 0 or 2? I have no clue how to approach this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the force is 2 N an instant before 3 seconds, and no force the instant after 3 seconds (the force stops being applied at t = 3 s). You have to use the definition of work to find the work done between 0 and 3 seconds (HINT: look at the area under the curve...what does it represent)?

Hi QuarkCharmer,

At x = 3.0 m, the force is both 2 N and 0 N, because it instantaneously changes from one value to another. This is an unphysical situation. In reality, the force would take a finite amount of time to change value, and the line at x = 3.0, instead of being perfectly vertical, would have some slope to it.

However, it doesn't matter that they've given you a physically unrealistic force vs. position function, because you can still solve the problem. In order to use the work-energy theorem as you've been instructed, you need to first find the work done up to x = 3.0 m. How would you do that? Hint: what is the relationship between work, force, and distance?

Edit: The area under the curve from 0 to 3 is 4. It represents Work.

Now can i say that:

4 = .5(3.5)(v^2) - .5(3.5)(0)
4 = .5(3.5)(v^2)
v = 1.51186

Okay, that works out. I see now.

How would I find the speed of the thing at x = 7? How does the negative area (under the axis) effect the work?

QuarkCharmer said:
Okay, that works out. I see now.

How would I find the speed of the thing at x = 7? How does the negative area (under the axis) effect the work?

Just do the math. If the area is negative, the work done is negative. So the total area under the curve will actually be less than what it was up to x = 3.0 m.

That's what my intuition said too. I was just not sure if it was like one of those "areas bound by some functions" style problem, where you need the abs() of each part and all that to get a total. Now it sounds silly. Of course it's negative, since I can run 10 miles north and 10 miles south and do no work.

Thanks guys.

QuarkCharmer said:
That's what my intuition said too. I was just not sure if it was like one of those "areas bound by some functions" style problem, where you need the abs() of each part and all that to get a total. Now it sounds silly. Of course it's negative, since I can run 10 miles north and 10 miles south and do no work.

Thanks guys.
Although you did not show your calculations for the work done and the speed of the thing at x = 7 m, if you followed cepheid's advice, you should have arrived at the correct answer. However, your analogy
since I can run 10 miles north and 10 miles south and do no work
is not a good one. If a force is applied to an object in the direction of the displacement, the work done is positive.

1. How do you interpret a work/energy graph of a car problem?

A work/energy graph of a car problem shows the relationship between the work done on the car and its change in kinetic energy. The x-axis represents the distance traveled by the car, while the y-axis represents the work done or the change in kinetic energy. The slope of the graph represents the force applied to the car, and the area under the graph represents the work done on the car.

2. What does a flat line on a work/energy graph indicate?

A flat line on a work/energy graph indicates that no work is being done on the car. This could mean that the car is not moving, or that the forces acting on the car are balanced, resulting in no change in kinetic energy.

3. How can you determine the acceleration of a car from a work/energy graph?

The acceleration of a car can be determined from a work/energy graph by calculating the slope of the line at a specific point. This slope represents the force acting on the car at that point, and using Newton's second law (F=ma), the acceleration can be calculated.

4. Can a work/energy graph be used to determine the speed of a car?

Yes, the speed of a car can be determined from a work/energy graph by calculating the change in kinetic energy over a specific distance. Since kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the speed, the speed of the car can be calculated using the formula KE=1/2mv^2.

5. What factors can affect the shape of a work/energy graph for a car problem?

The shape of a work/energy graph for a car problem can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the car, the applied force, the surface on which the car is moving, and any external forces acting on the car such as friction or air resistance. These factors can result in changes in the slope and area under the graph, indicating a different amount of work done or change in kinetic energy.