P: 26,487
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
But that's when it tastes the best!
Drakkith
Jan7-12, 03:53 PM
Mentor
P: 11,621
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I understand Evo. I'd have a hard time killing my cats if it came down to that.
rollcast
Jan7-12, 03:56 PM
P: 418
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
But that's when it tastes the best!
I must concur, freshly caught trout or mackerel are some of the nicest things you'll ever taste. No need to go over board or use any spices, just salt pepper and flour, whack them in a hot pan with butter and serve with crusty bread.
PAllen
Jan7-12, 04:09 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,027
Quote Quote by rollcast View Post
I must concur, freshly caught trout or mackerel are some of the nicest things you'll ever taste. No need to go over board or use any spices, just salt pepper and flour, whack them in a hot pan with butter and serve with crusty bread.
I concur, but never did it myself. I only experience this traveling:

1) Row boat comes in to tiny Carribean island, blows conch shell announcing fish, get chunk of red snapper caught within the hour.

2) At a small middle eastern village, our group of friends is invited to join a feast. We see live poultry being carried to a shed. They are killed and plucked while we chat and drink turkish coffee. Cooked over a fire. Never had better chicken in my life.
Moonbear
Jan7-12, 09:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
I worked with a guy that once was a research assistant at the University of Maine. They were involved with programs studying the feasibility of flash-freezing and shipping Maine lobsters. Guess what happened to the lobsters and lobster-parts that were not required? I would love to have been in Gerry's research group. (who buys the butter?)
That's about as good as the person I met from Louisiana who did research with crayfish. The project involved only females, but they couldn't buy just females, so their lab had very well-fed grad students with lots of crawfish boils of the males.
turbo
Jan7-12, 09:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
That's about as good as the person I met from Louisiana who did research with crayfish. The project involved only females, but they couldn't buy just females, so their lab had very well-fed grad students with lots of crawfish boils of the males.
Not only did Gerry and his pals get all of the unused parts of the lobsters, but they made their own "vodka" out of research-grade ethanol with a little citric acid to add a bit of sourness.
Moonbear
Jan7-12, 11:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Not only did Gerry and his pals get all of the unused parts of the lobsters, but they made their own "vodka" out of research-grade ethanol with a little citric acid to add a bit of sourness.
You have to be careful with that. A lot of research grade alcohol is "denatured" alcohol, which means it has a small percentage of methanol or isopropanol added to keep it from being drunk. The pure stuff is basically the same as Everclear, which is dreadful!
turbo
Jan7-12, 11:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
The stuff that we had in the pulp mill lab was denatured with methanol, ethyl acetate, and even aviation gasoline. The university had real ethanol. Gerry was a little "out there" but he wasn't suicidal.
richart2012
Jan22-12, 02:53 AM
P: 0
Hi
I used Pure Vegan B12 spray.There is also a cheaper version that does not advertise vegan but says so on the label called Pure Advantage B12. The ingredients are identical.
Moonbear
Jan22-12, 09:14 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by richart2012 View Post
Hi
I used Pure Vegan B12 spray.There is also a cheaper version that does not advertise vegan but says so on the label called Pure Advantage B12. The ingredients are identical.
That's not B12, it's a methylated form of it. Lots of "health food" shops sell these scammy products as supplements for vegans, but they aren't bioavailable forms. There is no bioavailable form in plants. Some supplements of cobalamin are produced from bacterial sources, and can be used, but there are far more scams out there than legitimate products.

Humans evolved to require a diet that includes some animal products. It doesn't need to be daily, and it doesn't need to be meat, but it does need to be an animal product of some sort...raiding the chicken house for a few sterile eggs now and then is fine. There's no sane reason to deny a person all animal products. But, instead of eatingna few animal products, they'd rather support an industry that manufactures synthetic vitamins, packages them up in plastic bottles, and ships them over long distances, and may not even be a usable form of the vitamin.
Ivan Seeking
Jan22-12, 02:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
I eat everything [less breads and high carb foods] but keep the red meat to a minimum. And while I am on a low-carb diet, which by definition means relatively high fat and protein, I have probably eaten more fresh fruits and vegetables over the last year than in the previous ten [no kidding!]. Now, as long as I keep my party platter handy, I tend to eat vegetables like candy.

People here might be interested in learning more about former President Clinton's diet. He is on an extreme vegetarian diet that doesn't even allow processed plant oils. Even fish oil is forbidden. I saw the author of the diet interviewed. He claims that no one who has gone on this diet has ever had a heart attack; that some people have gone on this diet were in dire need of corrective heart surgery, but the disease was reversed through diet. He claims that while genetics plays a role, all heart disease is preventable and 100% attributable to food. A striking claim to say the least! And he claims to have the research to back it up. I've been meaning to learn more about this but hadn't gotten around to it yet.
Monique
Jan22-12, 03:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
He's on a vegan diet, here are the publications of the doctor you are speaking of:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...20d%20%5Bau%5D
Evo
Jan22-12, 05:01 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
He claims that no one who has gone on this diet has ever had a heart attack; that some people have gone on this diet were in dire need of corrective heart surgery, but the disease was reversed through diet.
A damaged heart or valves cannot repair themselves, that's crackpottery.
Ivan Seeking
Jan22-12, 05:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
A damaged heart or valves cannot repair themselves, that's crackpottery.
He was talking about coronary artery disease. Obviously diet isn't going to repair a damaged valve.

Monique already posted his research.
Ivan Seeking
Jan22-12, 05:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
In case memory doesn't serve correctly, here is the interview.

Ivan Seeking
Jan22-12, 05:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Also, the interview with Clinton.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/08/18...gan/index.html

Eh, dirty trick! That's a highly edited version. This was the other part of special CNN ran about this, but also just an excerpt.

The 'heart attack proof' diet?
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/08/19...iet/index.html
phoenix:\\
Jan22-12, 08:47 PM
P: 74
Vegetarian throughout the year but I do eat a bit of meat during the holiday season, so mostly vegetarian aside from two dates on the calendar.
Evo
Jan22-12, 10:40 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
He was talking about coronary artery disease. Obviously diet isn't going to repair a damaged valve.

Monique already posted his research.
That was an unrelated list of papers that had his name listed.

Register to reply