Conservation of momentum question

by CuriousInPA
Tags: momentum, pulsar, relativity, singularity
CuriousInPA
Oct24-11, 03:54 PM
P: 4
Ok, I've been wondering about this question for many years and I don't know whether I just don't understand the basic concepts enough.

If you have a rapidly-spinning neutron star that continues to collapse down to a singularity, what happens to the conservation of angular momentum from the spin? As the circumference of the neutron star approaches zero, what happens to the speed of the spin? Would it actually have to approach c? Would the energy get bled off into some other form?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
dacruick
Oct24-11, 03:58 PM
P: 1,084
When I clicked on this link I thought that there might be a 1kg mass in a completely elastic collision with something . Cool question though, sorry I don't know squat about this kinda stuff.
DaveC426913
Oct24-11, 04:01 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by CuriousInPA View Post
If you have a rapidly-spinning neutron star that continues to collapse down to a singularity, what happens to the conservation of angular momentum from the spin? As the circumference of the neutron star approaches zero, what happens to the speed of the spin? Would it actually have to approach c? Would the energy get bled off into some other form?
Well, neutron stars do not collapse to a singularity; they typically are about 20km in diameter, with masses on the order of the sun.

Read about rotation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_star#Rotation

It suggests newborn (i.e. fastest) neutron stars rotate on the order of once per second, which with a circumference of a mere 64km, is quite slow.

CuriousInPA
Oct24-11, 04:02 PM

Conservation of momentum question

Quote Quote by dacruick View Post
When I clicked on this link I thought that there might be a 1kg mass in a completely elastic collision with something . Cool question though, sorry I don't know squat about this kinda stuff.
Thanks. Not sure if I've posted this in the right section, though.
CuriousInPA
Oct24-11, 04:03 PM
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Well, neutrons tars do not collapse to a singularity; they typically are about 20km in diameter, with masses on the order of the sun.
Ok, then if a star is collapsing down past neutron star stage and it was spinning, does that apply?
dacruick
Oct24-11, 04:04 PM
P: 1,084
Thanks. Not sure if I've posted this in the right section, though.
You definitely did, I didn't even read the category
PAllen
Oct24-11, 04:09 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,862
A black hole can have angular momentum and charge. In fact, externally, once stabilized, a black hole is fully characterized by mass, charge, and angular momentum.
CuriousInPA
Oct24-11, 07:59 PM
Quote Quote by PAllen View Post
A black hole can have angular momentum and charge. In fact, externally, once stabilized, a black hole is fully characterized by mass, charge, and angular momentum.
Cool. So, as the circumference of the black hole shrinks, the rate of spin increases, correct? If the circumference approaches zero, what happens to the rate of spin? Would this have any effect on a practical limit to how small a black hole could become?
PAllen
Oct24-11, 08:13 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,862
Cool. So, as the circumference of the black hole shrinks, the rate of spin increases, correct? If the circumference approaches zero, what happens to the rate of spin? Would this have any effect on a practical limit to how small a black hole could become?
Externally you get event horizon(s). Inside the event horizon you get a ring singularity. A point singularity only occurs for a non-rotating black hole. In GR, spacetime curvature (the metric) can incorporate angular momentum, so the complete black hole structure can be said to have angular momentum. Inside the horizon, nobody believes the idealized Kerr black hole describes what would really happen. This is outside currently understood physics (IMO).

Register to reply