Tags: constant, force, instantaneous power, power, velocity
Share this thread:
student1984
Nov1-11, 06:05 PM
P: 1
the questions I have are general questions regarding power and velocity

here are some relevant equations:
P=Fv

a) if the force required to keep an object in motion with a constant velocity does not depend on the speed of the object, does the power required to keep the object moving in at a constant velocity increase, decrease or remain the same with increasing speed?

b) in actuality, the force required to keep a car moving with a constant velocity increases in magnitude with the square of the car's speed. Does the power required to keep the car moving with a constant velocity increase, decrease or remain the same with increasing speed? How does this result compare with the answer to question a?

I'm assuming from that answer to part a is REMAIN THE SAME and part b is INCREASES WITH INCREASING SPEED.

am i correct in my assumptions?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Redbelly98
Nov1-11, 07:05 PM
Mentor
P: 12,070
Welcome to Physics Forums.
Quote Quote by student1984 View Post
the questions I have are general questions regarding power and velocity

here are some relevant equations:
P=Fv

a) if the force required to keep an object in motion with a constant velocity does not depend on the speed of the object, does the power required to keep the object moving in at a constant velocity increase, decrease or remain the same with increasing speed?

b) in actuality, the force required to keep a car moving with a constant velocity increases in magnitude with the square of the car's speed. Does the power required to keep the car moving with a constant velocity increase, decrease or remain the same with increasing speed? How does this result compare with the answer to question a?

I'm assuming from that answer to part a is REMAIN THE SAME and part b is INCREASES WITH INCREASING SPEED.

am i correct in my assumptions?
If the velocity is constant, then the speed must be constant also. (The velocity's magnitude and direction are both constant; speed is the magnitude of velocity, hence it is constant.)

Register to reply