WHAT is the reason gravity SHOULD be stronger than maganetism?

In summary, some scientists have been prompted to look for extra dimensions in the universe because they believe that gravity should be stronger than magnetism. This is because gravity is always attractive and has a far-reaching effect, while electromagnetism can be cancelled out. However, not all scientists agree with this perception and some believe that gravity's weakness is not a problem.
stellamojo
What is the reason gravity should be stronger than magnetism. I heard a speaker talk about what prompted scientists to look for other dimensions, and it was because they were looking for the drain on gravity, but what is it about gravity that makes it appear that it SHOULD be stronger than magnetism?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you mean by SHOULD. Gravity is a lot weaker than electromagnetism and scientists wonder why, but not necessarily stronger than e-m.

Because Gravity is always attractive, there are no circumstances, as with the electromagnetic forces, where you can get cancellation - so it just goes on and on and on. Its effect is far reaching whereas electromagnetic forces soon get lost.

Thank YOU, sophiecentaur, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

middling, I'm not sure how what you're saying relates to my request. I thought it was a simple request, but obviously it was worded in a way that caused some ruffled feathers. I simply wanted to know WHY some scientists were compelled to find gravity elsewhere in the universe, because of how gravity is on this planet. I wanted to know why some scientists have a problem with what they perceive to be a "weakness" in gravity. That's all.

1. What is the difference between gravity and magnetism?

Gravity is a force that attracts two objects with mass towards each other, while magnetism is a force that attracts or repels certain materials, such as iron or steel, based on their alignment of electrical charges.

2. Why is gravity considered stronger than magnetism?

The strength of a force is determined by its magnitude and the distance between the objects. The force of gravity is much stronger than magnetism because the mass of objects is typically much greater than their electric charge, and gravity has an infinite range while magnetism has a limited range.

3. How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to the strength of gravity and magnetism?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains that gravity is not a force between two objects, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. On the other hand, magnetism is a result of the electromagnetic force between charged particles. Therefore, the strength of gravity and magnetism can be explained by their underlying principles.

4. Can gravity and magnetism be compared in terms of their strength?

No, gravity and magnetism cannot be directly compared in terms of their strength. They are fundamentally different forces and cannot be measured against each other. However, their effects can be observed and compared in certain situations, such as the attraction or repulsion of objects.

5. Is there a possibility that the strength of gravity and magnetism could change?

The strength of gravity and magnetism are considered constants in our universe. However, some theories suggest that the strength of these forces may have been different in the early universe or may vary in other parts of the universe. Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that these forces can change in our observable world.