The mass of all interstellar gas and dust in our solar system

In summary, a 17 year old high school student attempted to calculate the mass of interstellar gas and dust in our solar system, but ultimately found that the Sun still makes up the majority of the mass, contrary to their initial belief.
coolcalx
I am a 17 year old high school student in Alabama, and after my astronomy test today, I decided to calculate the mass of all interstellar gas and dust in our solar system (under the assumption that the solar system extends to 55,000 AU in all directions) and I calculated the mass to be a combined 6x10^24 kg (I believe. I left my notes at school.), which is less than the 2x10^30 kg of the Sun. I excluded the mass of the planets, moons, asteroids, and comets to be negligible, and I'm curious as to how close I actually am to the correct number, if anyone knows.

p.s., I was doing this because my astronomy teacher said that the Sun composed 99.9% of the Solar System, by mass, and I suggested that the mass of the gas and dust would be greater, and he agreed that it was possible. in the end, he was right in the first place, with the Sun (in my approximation) composing 99.00% of the Solar System.

just curious to your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass of interstellar gas and dust in our solar system is difficult to calculate precisely due to the fact that it is spread out over such a large area. However, the most recent estimates suggest that the total mass of this material is around 2x10^27 kg, which is about 300 times larger than the figure you calculated. This means that the Sun still makes up the vast majority of the mass in the Solar System, likely more than 99%.

What is interstellar gas and dust?

Interstellar gas and dust are materials that exist in the space between stars. These materials are made up of various elements and compounds, such as hydrogen, helium, and carbon, and are essential building blocks for the formation of stars and planets.

How is the mass of interstellar gas and dust measured?

The mass of interstellar gas and dust is measured using a variety of methods, including spectroscopy, which analyzes the light emitted or absorbed by these materials, and direct observation using telescopes and spacecraft. Scientists also use mathematical models to estimate the mass of interstellar materials based on their distribution and other properties.

What is the estimated mass of interstellar gas and dust in our solar system?

The estimated mass of interstellar gas and dust in our solar system is about 1/1000th the mass of the sun. This means that these materials make up a relatively small portion of the total mass of our solar system, but they play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of our planets.

How does the mass of interstellar gas and dust impact our solar system?

The mass of interstellar gas and dust has a significant impact on the formation and evolution of our solar system. These materials provide the raw materials for the creation of planets, and they also influence the movement and interactions of objects within our solar system.

Is the mass of interstellar gas and dust constant?

No, the mass of interstellar gas and dust is not constant. These materials can be affected by various factors, such as the gravitational pull of nearby objects, radiation from stars, and collisions with other particles. This can result in changes in the distribution and overall mass of interstellar gas and dust in our solar system over time.