What Are the Solutions to These Calculus Limits?

• Thread starter yawie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limits of three different equations and provides strategies for evaluating them. The first two equations involve finding the limit of a product, while the third equation involves finding the limit of a power. The conversation also mentions the indeterminate forms of 0/0 and provides a trick for evaluating limits of quotients of polynomials.
yawie
Hi,
I have some questions that i need help on, they're due tomorrow, and I've been trying without success the whole weekend!

a) lim e^(1/x) log(100+ x)
x->0-

b) lim ((x^2+3x-10)/(x-2)) log(10^2-x)
x->2

c) lim 6^x
x->-infinity

THanks a lot in advance! I really appreciate it!
Yawie

Physics news on Phys.org
1) If both the limit of e^(1/x) and of log(100 + x) separetely are real numbers, then you know the limit of the product is the product of those numbers. Now, what happens to 1/x as x approaches 0 from the left? You can easily convince yourself that this quotient decreases endlessly and very rapidly (either by ploting the graph or putting in numbers yourself). We therefor write that the limit as x approaches 0- is [itex]-\infty[/itex]. So your limit is equivalent to

[tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow \infty} e^{-y} = \lim_{y \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{e^y}[/tex]

, etc.

2) You would like to do the same thing as for #1; i.e. find the limit of the quotient of polynomial and the limit of the log separately, and multiply those limits together to get the result. But as you may have noticed, the limit of the polynomial is of the form 0/0. This ratio is undefined, i.e. it is not a real number. So you'll have to perform some algebraic manipulations on your quotient so it takes an acceptable form (note: whenever you have a limit of the kind of 0/0 or any of the other 6 indeterminate forms, there is always a way to transform it into something more docile.)
When you have to evaluate the limit of a quotient of polynomials, a trick that always work is to factor out an x to the largest power from the numerator and the denominator. Ex: in your case, the polynomial of higher degree is the one at the numerator; its degree is 2. All you have to do is factor x^2 from the num and denom, cancel them out. See what happens.

As for the limit of the log, remember that whatever^0 = 1 and log(1) = 0.

3) Same thing I said for a)

Last edited:

Hi Yawie,

I am happy to help you with your calculus homework. It's great that you are reaching out for help instead of giving up. Let's take a look at the questions you have provided.

a) For this limit, we can use the L'Hopital's Rule. First, we will rewrite the expression as:
lim (e^(1/x) log(100+x)) = lim (log(100+x)/e^(-1/x))
Now, we can apply L'Hopital's Rule, which states that if we have an indeterminate form of 0/0 or infinity/infinity, we can take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately to simplify the expression. In this case, we have 0/0, so we can apply the rule.
lim (log(100+x)/e^(-1/x)) = lim (((1/(100+x)))/(e^(-1/x) * (-1/x^2)))
= lim ((-x/(100+x)) * (e^(1/x)) * (1/x^2))
= lim ((-x/(100+x)) * (e^(1/x)) * (1/x^2))
Now, we can plug in x=0 to get the final answer:
lim (e^(1/x) log(100+x)) = (-0/100) * (1/1) = 0

b) For this limit, we can use the same approach as in part a). First, we will rewrite the expression as:
lim ((x^2+3x-10)/(x-2)) log(10^2-x) = lim ((x^2+3x-10)/(x-2)) * (log(10^2-x)/1)
Now, we can apply L'Hopital's Rule to the first part of the expression:
lim ((x^2+3x-10)/(x-2)) = lim ((2x+3)/(1)) = 5
For the second part, we can use a property of logarithms to rewrite it as:
log(10^2-x) = log(100) - log(10-x) = 2 - log(10-x)
Now, we can apply L'Hopital's Rule again:
lim (2 - log(10-x)) = lim (-1/(10-x)) = -1/8
Finally, we can multiply the two parts together to

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and rates of change. It is used to model and analyze continuous change in various real-world scenarios.

Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a framework for understanding and analyzing complex systems and phenomena. It is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to solve problems and make predictions.

What are the main concepts in calculus?

The main concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to determine the behavior of a function as the input values get closer to a certain value. Derivatives measure the rate of change of a function at a specific point. Integrals are used to find the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

What are the different applications of calculus?

Calculus has various applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to model and analyze motion, optimize functions, calculate areas and volumes, and predict future trends.

How can I get help with my calculus homework?

You can get help with your calculus homework by seeking assistance from your teacher or classmates, using online resources and tutorials, or hiring a tutor. It is also important to practice regularly and seek clarification on any concepts that you find difficult.