Ostensible contradiction between the continuity equation and Cartan's magic formula

by mma
Tags: cartan's magic, continuity equation
mma
Mar1-12, 02:13 AM
P: 230
Continuity equation is

[itex]dj+\partial_t\rho_t=0[/itex]

where [itex]j[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] are a time-dependent 2-form and a time-dependent 3-form on the 3-dimensional space [itex]M[/itex] respectively. (see e.g. A gentle introduction to
the foundations of classical electrodynamics
(2.5))

If we use differential forms on the 4-dimensional space-time [itex]\mathbb R\times M[/itex] instead of time-dependent forms on [itex]M[/itex], than the continuity equation tells that the integral of the [itex]J:=\rho+dt\wedge j[/itex] 3-form on the boundary of any 4-dimensional cube is 0, hence [itex]dJ=0[/itex].

If we apply Cartan's magic formula to [itex]J[/itex] and the vector field [itex]v:=\partial_t[/itex] then we get:

[itex]L_vJ=\iota_vdJ+d(\iota_vJ)=d(\iota_vJ)=dj[/itex]

On the other hand, [itex]L_vJ=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\tilde\rho_t[/itex]

where [itex]\tilde\rho_t=\varphi_t^*\rho[/itex], where [itex]\varphi[/itex] is the flow of [itex]v(=\partial_t)[/itex], i.e. [itex]\tilde\rho_t[/itex] is the same time-dependent 3-form [itex]\rho_t[/itex] on [itex]\{0\}\times M\simeq M[/itex] as appear in the starting continuity equation.

Consequenty, from Cartan's magic formula we get [itex]\partial_t\rho_t=dj[/itex], i.e.

[itex]dj-\partial_t\rho_t=0[/itex]

So, there is a sign difference between this equation an the continuity equation. Were is the error?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
quasar987
Mar1-12, 11:22 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,768
I think the problem is the definition of J! If I compute dJ, I get

[tex]dJ=d_{sp}\rho+dt\wedge\partial_t\rho - dt\wedge d_{sp}j[/tex]

where d_{sp} means the exterior differential wrt spatial coordinates only. Now, [itex]d_{sp}\rho=0[/itex] since rho is a 3-form on a 3-manifold, and so we see that dJ=0 iff [itex]\partial_t\rho - d_{sp}j = 0[/itex] which is not the conservation equation. On the other hand, with [itex]J:= -\rho +dt\wedge j[/itex] we do get dJ=0, and your little playing around with Cartan's formula gives [tex]dj+\partial_t\rho=0[/tex] at the end.
mma
Mar2-12, 01:10 AM
P: 230
Oh, yes, this solves the problem. I think that I got lost beause the four current vector in Physics is defined with +rho, but now I recognised that it means a - sign when I turn it to differential form because of the - sign in the Minkowski metric.

Thank you very much, Quasar!

Register to reply