Solve 5th Question on Phys101 Final: Urgent Help Needed!

In summary: It seems that your answer depends upon 'd'.For a puck that hits the stick in its center of mass,the stick should rotate and the masses should be equal.
mfk_1868
an urgent question

http://www.fen.bilkent.edu.tr/~ozbay/Phys101-2004/pastfinal.pdf 5th question if anyone can solve please post here very urgent

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first question is not difficult,however a correct answer to it would solve point b).Without it,u couldn't be able to solve point b).

What are your ideas to approach the problem?You don't expect us to solve it for you,though it's 'urgent'.

Daniel.

PS.Do you know Steiner's theorem??It can be useful for point b).

anyone can solve 5th question

Obviously i can solve the problem for you,however i won't do it.I'll just guide through it.The question at the point "b".Taking into account that is an elastic collision,what phyisical quantities are conserved...?

Daniel.

PS.I hope u see my point.I won't be in your shoes tomorrow at the exam.

can you tell me the answer i found it right now 12M/13 can you check this?

mfk_1868 said:
can you tell me the answer i found it right now 12M/13 can you check this?

How did u get that answer??I'm not saying it's good,i'm not saying it's bad,just want to know how u got it.The method is far more important than the result itself.
Post your work.

Daniel.

i can't post it but i made 3 equalities angular momentum cons lineer momentum cons and K.E cons now can you tell the answer please it is very importqnt

con=conservation

mfk_1868 said:
i can't post it but i made 3 equalities angular momentum cons lineer momentum cons and K.E cons now can you tell the answer please it is very importqnt

Why didn't u say that in the first place??You made me think that u were totally 'lost'... :tongue2:
From the angular momentum conservation,u got the angular velocity of the ruler,okay??
From the conservation of linear momentum u got the linear velocity of the ruler,okay??
With these 2 values,u got back into the KE conservation law and using the Inertia moment with a correct value,u got "m".In that case i get
[tex] m=\frac{M}{1+\frac{12d^{2}}{L^{2}}} [/tex]

Daniel.

PS.One of us is wrong...Don't know who. :confused: I may have messed up my calculations,though.

I found rather dubious that your answer does not depend upon the distance parameter 'd'.If 'd=0 (the puck hits the stick in its center of mass),then the stick should not rotate and the masses should be equal.
My answer satisfies this logics.Yours not.

Daniel.

1. What is the 5th question on the Phys101 final?

The 5th question on the Phys101 final may vary depending on the specific exam, but it is typically related to a specific topic covered in the course.

2. How can I solve the 5th question on the Phys101 final?

The best way to solve the 5th question on the Phys101 final is to review the relevant material and practice similar problems. You can also seek help from your professor or a tutor if you are having trouble understanding the concept.

3. Is it urgent that I get help with the 5th question on the Phys101 final?

It is always important to seek help if you are struggling with a question on an exam, including the 5th question on the Phys101 final. However, if the exam is time-sensitive and you only have a limited amount of time to complete it, then it is urgent that you get help immediately.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve the 5th question on the Phys101 final?

This will depend on the specific instructions given by your professor for the exam. Some exams may allow the use of a calculator for certain questions, while others may not allow any external aids. Make sure to follow the exam instructions carefully.

5. What can I do if I am still unable to solve the 5th question on the Phys101 final?

If you are still struggling with the 5th question on the Phys101 final, you can try looking for additional resources such as online tutorials or practice problems. You can also reach out to your classmates or professor for help. Remember to stay calm and focused, and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed.