Register to reply

What proof do we have that TIME exists?

by Homesick345
Tags: exists, proof, time
Share this thread:
Homesick345
Mar15-12, 08:14 AM
P: 30
When we "measure" time, we are obeserving movement, really. Or aren't we? Is there a physics theory where time existence is questionned? why do we need time? & what would be the alternative? What woudl be a universe without time?
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
Fermi satellite detects gamma-rays from exploding novae
Computer simulation suggests early Earth bombarded by asteroids and comets
Research finds numerous unknown jets from young stars and planetary nebulae
Octavianus
Mar15-12, 10:14 AM
P: 12
If you and a friend agree to move your bodies to the same place, meet each other, and then move your bodies back to your respective homes is it enough to agree on the place of the meeting?
petm1
Mar15-12, 11:24 AM
P: 366
Time is the measure of existence as viewed by an observer.

zhermes
Mar15-12, 11:24 AM
P: 1,261
What proof do we have that TIME exists?

'Time' is the name for an observed property of the universe. 'Time' wasn't proposed as a theory that could be falsified, its a pure observation---around which extensive theoretical work has been formed.

Time is a fourth dimension of change/freedom ('movement' as you accurately put it), that behaves fundamentally different from the standard 3D people think of. Why time is different is quite a question in theoretical physics that---to my knowledge---people are only really starting to look at, for instance Sean Carroll at CalTech is very interested in the nature of time.

All I know is from popular articles which suggest that in some/many string theories time needn't have been so different, or have exhibited the characteristics it does.
Chalnoth
Mar16-12, 02:04 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,782
Time is a model which has proven very useful in understanding how our universe behaves.
alexg
Mar16-12, 02:38 AM
P: 126
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once. And space is what keeps it all from happening to me. - John Wheeler
steve watson
Mar16-12, 06:56 PM
P: 16
Quote Quote by Homesick345 View Post
When we "measure" time, we are obeserving movement, really. Or aren't we? Is there a physics theory where time existence is questionned? why do we need time? & what would be the alternative? What woudl be a universe without time?
"Time" is not a "thing", like a planet, or dog, or grain of sand, or atom, are "things". "Time", like an "inch", "yard", "meter", "fathom", etc., etc., etc., is a measurement. "Time" is what we call this measurement. (We could have called it anything, and we do in different languages). Like an "inch", "yard", etc., etc., etc., "time" it is a man-made construct rooted in reality devised to measure change, i.e., season to season, day to day, minute to minute, heartbeat to hearbeat, etc., etc., etc.

The notion of "time" is valid and rooted in reality, e.g., the earth's full revolution around the sun is both observable and predictable; we call this full revolution a "year"-our measurement of how long this takes, a man-made construct firmly rooted in reality. Whether we call it a "year" or not, is irrelevant to these celestial observations. Just like "time", all other valid measurements must be rooted in reality.
petm1
Mar17-12, 02:49 PM
The Earth is about 5 billion years old, My dog died at 13 years, that grain of sand has a duration, as do all things. Time is a mosaic however I view it, with each four dimensional object adding but its own part to this dilating image I see as my present.
Homesick345
Mar17-12, 02:56 PM
Thanks all for the diverse and superb answers. I am humbled by the level of this forum.
chill_factor
Mar17-12, 04:09 PM
P: 887
throw a drinking glass on the ground. it breaks. that's forward time. it will never self assemble, dive up from the ground and put itself back into your hand.
petm1
Mar19-12, 11:54 AM
What do you think the probability would be of the glass forming itself without the help of the co-moving frame of consciousness in humans?
Chalnoth
Mar19-12, 03:35 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,782
Quote Quote by petm1 View Post
What do you think the probability would be of the glass forming itself without the help of the co-moving frame of consciousness in humans?
Consciousness has zero effect on the behavior of reality (except the obvious bits like building houses, computers, etc.).
sahmgeek
Mar19-12, 08:47 PM
P: 65
I'm not convinced you can actually measure time (or space). I suspect we are only able to measure the finite things that exist within spacetime. asking what a universe would be like without time is like asking what a universe would be like without space. it's nonsensical to us (finite beings). time plays a real part, albeit the most elusive one, imo. this is also what makes it the most interesting (imo)
sahmgeek
Mar19-12, 08:52 PM
Quote Quote by Homesick345 View Post
why do we need time? & what would be the alternative?
i think we need both space and time to provide reference points. the alternative would be something that we could not really put into words b/c we wouldn't be able to make any sense out of it. unless the alternative (no time) was what we were used to, then we could discuss it. does that make sense
sahmgeek
Mar19-12, 08:59 PM
and if you REALLY think about it, time and space might actually BE the same "thing" (for lack of a better word). stick that into your equation!

actually, has anyone?
petm1
Mar20-12, 12:02 AM
Consciousness has zero effect on the behavior of reality (except the obvious bits like building houses, computers, etc.).
Consciousness is required for us to see the behavior of reality, and the co-moving frame of my consciousness is the one second part of time that I am always within, what do you think makes up our present.
alt
Mar22-12, 06:33 AM
PF Gold
P: 322
I've always thought that when thinking about what time is, or whether it exists, one has to look at the immediate, first hand experience of it - the present.

And when trying to work out what the present is, I get even more perplexed. Is it a certain amount of time ? It must be, for if it was a point instant, it would be static, and no movement would be possible.

But how long IS your experienced present ? A second ? Half that ? Douple that ? One hundredth that ? In any case, it would still have (unless it was a point instant), a component of past, and possibly future in it. Weird !
Homesick345
Mar22-12, 07:43 AM
Quote Quote by alt View Post
I've always thought that when thinking about what time is, or whether it exists, ....... In any case, it would still have (unless it was a point instant), a component of past, and possibly future in it. Weird !
Super weird indeed. Moreover, if time exists, & it passes linearly, it should have an infinite speed, since it passes continuously..Time is weirder than existence itself

Register to reply