How to Create a 2-D Contour Plot with Labels Using Gnuplot?

In summary, the conversation discusses generating a 2d contour plot using gnuplot from a file with three columns, where the first two columns represent the X and Y axes and the third column represents the magnitude. The speaker suggests using certain gnuplot commands to generate the plot and mentions a solution for labeling the contours with numerical values. The issue of the data being in grid form is also addressed.
hamidamini
Hello
with gnuplot
I need to have 2d contour plot from a file (say ss.dat) with three column, first and secend columns are X and Y respectively and the third column is magnitude (I need to have this magnitude with labels on it in 2d plot).

Thanks in advance
Hamid

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your file contains grid data, the basic commands to generate a contour plot would be

set contour base
unset sur
set view map
splot 'file'

gnuplot will generate a key mapping dash patterns in the contours to values. If you want actual numerical labels printed on the contours, you have to resort to tricks. I describe one way to do it in the gnuplot Cookbook.

Thank you very much. my file dose not have grid data. it just has three coulmn first is "x"axis second "y" and third is just the data I want to have the plot of. How can I grid x and y axis.

Thanks

Your data might already be in grid form, depending on how it is organized. Type "help grid_data" at the gnuplot interactive prompt to find out what this means. Even if it is not, the plot might work. Try it and see. If your data is scattered you might be able to plot it after letting gnuplot convert it into a grid arrangement. Type "help dgrid3d" to find out how to do this.

Hi Hamid,

Thank you for your question. I am familiar with using gnuplot to create 2-D contour plots from data files. To create a contour plot, you will need to use the "splot" command in gnuplot, which is used specifically for creating 3-D plots.

To create a 2-D contour plot, you will need to use the "set view map" command before the "splot" command. This will project the 3-D plot onto a 2-D plane, creating a contour plot.

To plot data from a file, you will need to use the "using" keyword after the "splot" command, followed by the column numbers of the data you want to plot. In your case, it would be "using 1:2:3" to plot the X, Y, and magnitude columns respectively.

To add labels to your contour plot, you can use the "set label" command, followed by the coordinates and text for your label. You can also customize the appearance of your contour plot using various gnuplot commands such as "set title", "set xlabel", and "set ylabel".

I hope this helps you create your desired 2-D contour plot using gnuplot. Best of luck with your research.

Sincerely,

1. What is a 2-D contour plot and how is it created with gnuplot?

A 2-D contour plot is a graphical representation of a 2-dimensional dataset, where the data points are displayed as lines or curves on a grid. It is created with gnuplot by using the "set contour" command to enable contour plotting, and then using the "splot" command to plot the data points.

2. How are the contour lines determined in a 2-D contour plot?

The contour lines in a 2-D contour plot are determined by the values of the data points. Gnuplot uses an algorithm to calculate the contour lines based on the data values and displays them as smooth curves.

3. Can I customize the appearance of a 2-D contour plot with gnuplot?

Yes, gnuplot offers various options for customizing the appearance of a 2-D contour plot. These include changing the color scheme, adding labels and titles, adjusting the contour levels, and changing the line styles and widths.

4. What are some common applications of 2-D contour plots in scientific research?

2-D contour plots are commonly used in scientific research to visualize and analyze data from experiments, simulations, and observations. They are particularly useful for displaying relationships between two variables and identifying patterns and trends in the data.

5. Can I save or export a 2-D contour plot created with gnuplot?

Yes, gnuplot allows you to save or export a 2-D contour plot in various formats such as image files (e.g. PNG, JPEG) or vector graphics (e.g. EPS, SVG). You can also use the "set term" command to specify the desired output format before plotting the data.