Meaning of totally antisymmetric tensor

by homology
Tags: antisymmetric, meaning, tensor, totally
homology
Apr1-12, 08:54 AM
P: 307
Simple question I am confused on. If I have a tensor [latex]M^{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/latex] that is totally antisymmetric in its indices then is it the case that M changes sign under the exchange of any two indices? And as a followup, a totally symmetric tensor has no sign changes on any pair exchange of indices?

Thanks,

Kevin
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
quasar987
Apr1-12, 09:09 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,768
What is your definition of a tensor, and of a totally antisymmetric tensor (resp. totally symmetric tensor)?
M Quack
Apr1-12, 09:16 AM
P: 640
Take a look at the Levi-Civita symbol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol

homology
Apr1-12, 09:41 AM
P: 307

Meaning of totally antisymmetric tensor

Damn I think I figured out my problem. I was going off Carroll's definition/discussion of (anti-) symmetry (Spacetime and Geometry) which implies that an exchange of a pair of indices in a totally antisymmetric tensor yields a sign change. This is fine I realize now, what is not fine is the following.

I was looking at [latex]\partial_{\alpha}F_{\beta\gamma}[/latex]. I know that [latex]\partial_{\[\alpha}F_{\beta\gamma\]}=0[/latex] and I then INCORRECTLY assumed that [latex]\partial_{\alpha}F_{\beta\gamma}[/latex] was totally symmetric which was leading me into errors....argh....noob mistake.

Register to reply