Register to reply

Meaning of totally antisymmetric tensor

by homology
Tags: antisymmetric, meaning, tensor, totally
Share this thread:
homology
Apr1-12, 08:54 AM
P: 307
Simple question I am confused on. If I have a tensor [itex]M^{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex] that is totally antisymmetric in its indices then is it the case that M changes sign under the exchange of any two indices? And as a followup, a totally symmetric tensor has no sign changes on any pair exchange of indices?

Thanks,

Kevin
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
quasar987
Apr1-12, 09:09 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
What is your definition of a tensor, and of a totally antisymmetric tensor (resp. totally symmetric tensor)?
M Quack
Apr1-12, 09:16 AM
P: 660
Take a look at the Levi-Civita symbol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol

homology
Apr1-12, 09:41 AM
P: 307
Meaning of totally antisymmetric tensor

Damn I think I figured out my problem. I was going off Carroll's definition/discussion of (anti-) symmetry (Spacetime and Geometry) which implies that an exchange of a pair of indices in a totally antisymmetric tensor yields a sign change. This is fine I realize now, what is not fine is the following.

I was looking at [itex]\partial_{\alpha}F_{\beta\gamma}[/itex]. I know that [itex]\partial_{\[\alpha}F_{\beta\gamma\]}=0[/itex] and I then INCORRECTLY assumed that [itex]\partial_{\alpha}F_{\beta\gamma}[/itex] was totally symmetric which was leading me into errors....argh....noob mistake.

Register to reply