Good book about Vector Calculus?

by cristina89
Tags: book, calculus, vector
cristina89
Apr1-12, 07:09 PM
P: 29
I'm studying Vector Calculus right now, and I'll have a test about Coordinate Transformation soon. But the book my teacher recommended (Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken) is way too hard to understand this subject. Does anyone know any good material about this that I can find on internet?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
chiro
Apr1-12, 07:18 PM
P: 4,570
Quote Quote by cristina89 View Post
I'm studying Vector Calculus right now, and I'll have a test about Coordinate Transformation soon. But the book my teacher recommended (Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken) is way too hard to understand this subject. Does anyone know any good material about this that I can find on internet?

Thank you.
Hey cristina89 and welcome to the forums.

For something more intuitive I would recommend the book "Div, Grad, Curl and all That". If you are at a university I think your library should have this book.

Div, grad, curl, and all that : an informal text on vector calculus / H.M. Schey
Published New York : W.W. Norton, c1992

Not sure if there are newer versions, but this one definitely exists.
cristina89
Apr1-12, 07:49 PM
P: 29
Quote Quote by chiro View Post
Hey cristina89 and welcome to the forums.

For something more intuitive I would recommend the book "Div, Grad, Curl and all That". If you are at a university I think your library should have this book.

Div, grad, curl, and all that : an informal text on vector calculus / H.M. Schey
Published New York : W.W. Norton, c1992

Not sure if there are newer versions, but this one definitely exists.
Thank you so much! I'll try to find this book tomorrow.

I just need to have an idea of how, given a transformation, I find a new basis, a normalized basis, the displacement, gradient, the volume in the new basis... This kind of thing.

If anyone else knows any other book, please tell me, it would help me a lot (:

Register to reply