Register to reply

Good book about Vector Calculus?

by cristina89
Tags: book, calculus, vector
Share this thread:
cristina89
Apr1-12, 07:09 PM
P: 29
I'm studying Vector Calculus right now, and I'll have a test about Coordinate Transformation soon. But the book my teacher recommended (Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken) is way too hard to understand this subject. Does anyone know any good material about this that I can find on internet?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
chiro
Apr1-12, 07:18 PM
P: 4,573
Quote Quote by cristina89 View Post
I'm studying Vector Calculus right now, and I'll have a test about Coordinate Transformation soon. But the book my teacher recommended (Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken) is way too hard to understand this subject. Does anyone know any good material about this that I can find on internet?

Thank you.
Hey cristina89 and welcome to the forums.

For something more intuitive I would recommend the book "Div, Grad, Curl and all That". If you are at a university I think your library should have this book.

Div, grad, curl, and all that : an informal text on vector calculus / H.M. Schey
Published New York : W.W. Norton, c1992

Not sure if there are newer versions, but this one definitely exists.
cristina89
Apr1-12, 07:49 PM
P: 29
Quote Quote by chiro View Post
Hey cristina89 and welcome to the forums.

For something more intuitive I would recommend the book "Div, Grad, Curl and all That". If you are at a university I think your library should have this book.

Div, grad, curl, and all that : an informal text on vector calculus / H.M. Schey
Published New York : W.W. Norton, c1992

Not sure if there are newer versions, but this one definitely exists.
Thank you so much! I'll try to find this book tomorrow.

I just need to have an idea of how, given a transformation, I find a new basis, a normalized basis, the displacement, gradient, the volume in the new basis... This kind of thing.

If anyone else knows any other book, please tell me, it would help me a lot (:

Register to reply