Tags: electron, quantum, states
Share this thread:
chroot
Sep17-03, 08:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,428
There is no specific number of allowable quantum states for electrons in general. Instead, the electron's environment dictates what energy levels it can have. A free electron moving through a vacuum could actually have any of an infinity of allowed quantum states. An electron in an s-orbital in an atom can be in one of only two states.

- Warren
VBPhysics
Sep21-03, 06:30 PM
P: 36
Chroot is right except for one thing. The quantum wave function for a free particle is nonnormalizable meaning that a free particle cannot really exist in a vacuum. So the idea of an infinite number of quantum states is not viable in that reguard.

benzun_1999
Sep23-03, 06:44 AM
P: 258
32 quantum states of an electron

a book i read lately said that using the 32 quantum states of an electron you can create a super computer so i thought that 32 states of quantum realy existed, so i asked this question.
chroot
Sep23-03, 01:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Perhaps in the specific quantum dot the computer used, the electron had 32 possible states. In general, however, there is no specific number -- it depends on the environment the electron is in.

- Warren
Tom Mattson
Sep23-03, 09:46 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,533
Originally posted by benzun_1999
a book i read lately said that using the 32 quantum states of an electron you can create a super computer
What book, and what was the surrounding context?

so i thought that 32 states of quantum realy existed, so i asked this question.
The n=4 state of a hydrogenlike atom is the only system I can think of that has exactly 32 states. But the electron is by no means limited to 32 (just promote it to n=5!).
jeff
Sep24-03, 06:08 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 660
Originally posted by benzun_1999
what are the 32 quantum states of an electron?
Was string theory mentioned? The reason I ask is that in the 10-dimensional spacetimes of string theory, spacetime spinors (electrons are spinors) fill out spinorial representations of the lorentz group that are 32 dimensional.
hey.like
Sep26-03, 08:34 PM
P: 77
That is right in last time , the quantum theory give our the many new partical and new phys fact. some partical in time is so short, it is sorry in the past long time and huge money. but the success in quantum is right.
benzun_1999
Sep28-03, 06:17 AM
P: 258
All i read from that book is that you can create a super computer using the 32 states of electron. as most of the computer use only 2 states of an electron, the writer predicted that with the 32 states of an electron you can create a super powerful computer.
chroot
Sep29-03, 02:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I think your book should be thrown in the fire. Normal computers don't make use of the quantum states of electrons at all, and quantum computers do not necessarily need to provide electrons 32 states.

- Warren
Nereid
Sep29-03, 03:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,014
32 bit (super) computers? Must be an old book.
im_red
Dec8-03, 11:52 AM
P: 1
Originally posted by Tom
What book, and what was the surrounding context?

Could it have been Michael Chrichtonís Timeline? The posting sounds like it came straight from the text.

Register to reply