Help with Physics Homework: Punter Kicking a Football

In summary: When a punter kicks a football, he is applying a force to the ball. This force is in the form of a push since the punter is applying it from the front. This push is also opposed by the drag of air resistance. Since the punter is applying a push and the drag is opposing the force, the net force on the ball is zero.
stephenthe1
physics homework need help!

hi, I'm a student in eleventh grade. I'm actually working on a test for tomorrow, that, to be honest, I'm really not ready for. It's just regular, 1st year phyiscs.

ok, well, my first question I need help with is as follows.

When a punter kicks a football, is he doing work on the ball while his toe is in contact with it? Is he doing work on the ball after the ball loses contact with his toe? Are any forces doing work on the ball while the ball is in flight?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your opinion??You're not expecting us to give you the answers right away,you have to figure them out yourself,maybe with a little help from us.

Daniel.

no, I need to know why so I can do understand for the test. I feel kind of dumb for such basic stuff, but. I think the punter IS doing work on the ball while it is in contact, then no work when not in contact. air resistance and gravity are the forces.

Second part,perfect.However,the first part needs rethinking.Take into account the definition of work.

Daniel.

you mean, because the distance between the ball and the punter isn't changing that work is never being done.

That's right.During the time the toe/foot/sports shoe and the ball are in contact,there's no "delta x" (meaning it is zero) and by the time they lose contact,there is "delta x",but the force is zero.

Daniel.

A weight is connected to a spring that is suspended vertically from the ceiling. If the weight is displaced downward from its equilibrium position and released, it will oscillate up and down. How many forms of potential energy are involved? If air resistance and friction are disregarded, will the total mechanical energy be conserved?

to be honest, I have no idea on this one. I would think the total mechanical energy would be conserved, because the spring would keep oscillating. and I don't know what different forms of potential energy are.

What kind of conservative forces (the ones that come from potential fields/potential energy) are involved??Actually,which??

Daniel.

1. How does the angle of the kick affect the distance the football travels?

The angle of the kick does not have a significant effect on the distance the football travels. The distance is primarily determined by the initial velocity and direction of the kick, as well as external factors such as air resistance and wind. However, a lower angle kick may result in a higher trajectory and potentially more accuracy, while a higher angle kick may result in a shorter, more direct trajectory.

2. What is the ideal velocity for a successful punt kick?

The ideal velocity for a successful punt kick varies depending on the distance and accuracy desired. In general, a higher initial velocity will result in a longer punt, but it also increases the chance of a less accurate kick. It is important for the punter to find the right balance between distance and accuracy based on their skill level.

3. How does the weight of the football affect the punt kick?

The weight of the football has a minimal effect on the punt kick. The mass of the football may slightly affect the trajectory and the amount of force needed to propel it, but it is not a significant factor compared to other variables such as the strength and technique of the punter.

4. What role do external factors, such as air resistance and wind, play in a punt kick?

External factors, such as air resistance and wind, can have a significant impact on the distance and accuracy of a punt kick. Air resistance can slow down the football and change its trajectory, while wind can push the ball in a certain direction. These factors must be taken into account by the punter when making their kick.

5. What is the best technique for a successful punt kick?

The best technique for a successful punt kick varies among punters and depends on their skill level. However, some key elements to consider are a strong and consistent approach, a controlled and accurate foot strike, and follow-through. It is also important for the punter to maintain good body posture and alignment throughout the kick to maximize power and accuracy.