Register to reply

How to place circles that there will be no gap. Use least number of circles possible.

by Firewolffzc
Tags: circle
Share this thread:
Firewolffzc
Apr21-12, 02:34 PM
P: 7
I have to plan the layout of a sprinkler system. Basically, each sprinkler shoots a radius of 7.5 feet water, and I want every part of the floor covered with water. How can I use the least number of sprinklers?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
tiny-tim
Apr21-12, 02:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Hi Firewolffzc! Welcome to PF!

Tell us what you think, and then we'll comment!
Firewolffzc
Apr21-12, 02:54 PM
Well, I think I figured one way to approach. Is it better to imagine not the circle, but a triangle, square or hexagon inscribed within the circle, because these shapes can link without gaps. Then once done with these shapes, I draw a circle circumscribing the shape. I was wondering if this was an effective method. If it is, which shape is best?

tiny-tim
Apr21-12, 03:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
How to place circles that there will be no gap. Use least number of circles possible.

yup, that seems a good idea!
i'd guess it's the hexagon, but you'd better do the maths!
Firewolffzc
Apr22-12, 11:52 AM
Well, see, I don't know what math to do! I figured out that the reason we can use triangles, squares and hexagons is because the measurement of their angles are multiples of 360. (triangle)60*6=360, (square)90*4=360, (hexagon)120*3= 360. Well, it is not possible to have a shape with a 180 or 360 degrees angle, therefore hexagons are the best shape because they make the smallest area between circles. Wow, I can't believe I figured that out myself. Anyway, is there more to it or is this the final solution?
tiny-tim
Apr22-12, 01:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
no, that seems fine, so long as you actually prove
Quote Quote by Firewolffzc View Post
hexagons are the best shape because they make the smallest area between circles.
willem2
Apr22-12, 05:20 PM
P: 1,395
A hexagonal packing might be the best for covering the entire plane (not sure), but for finite size rooms, an irregular packing can do better

This is a page with the best known results for covering a square with circles

http://www2.stetson.edu/~efriedma/circovsqu/
tiny-tim
Apr22-12, 06:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
cool!
Firewolffzc
Apr23-12, 06:38 PM
Thanks for all your help. Btw, I don't know how to prove something like the area formed between circles circumscribing hexagons is the smallest compared to triangles and squares.

Register to reply