Spherical conductor with cavities

In summary, the problem involves a solid spherical conductor with two small cavities containing point charges q1 and q2 respectively. At a large distance r away from the center of the sphere, there is a third charge Q. The force on each object in the problem can be determined using Gauss's Law and the concept of electric field in cavities. The force on S is equal to the force on Q, while the forces on q1 and q2 are both equal to 0.
meteorologist1
Hi all, I need help on the following problem:

A solid spherical conductor S contains 2 small spherical cavities (not-concentric). The total charge on the conductor is zero, but at the center of each cavity there are two point charges q1 and q2 respectively. At large distance r away from the center of the sphere, there is a third charge Q. What force exists on each of the four objects in this problem: Q, S, q1, and q2? Which answers, if any, are approximate and depend on r being relatively large?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
meteorologist1 said:
Hi all, I need help on the following problem:

A solid spherical conductor S contains 2 small spherical cavities (not-concentric). The total charge on the conductor is zero, but at the center of each cavity there are two point charges q1 and q2 respectively. At large distance r away from the center of the sphere, there is a third charge Q. What force exists on each of the four objects in this problem: Q, S, q1, and q2? Which answers, if any, are approximate and depend on r being relatively large?

Thanks.

For the problem I'll call the S system: S, q1, q2.

Can you use Gauss' law to find the electric field due to the S system (the whole thing cavities charges and all) at a distance r? Use this to get the force on Q.

What is the electric field in a cavity in a conductor? This should give you the force on q1 and q2.

Finally, by Newton's third law, I'd say that the force on Q by the S system=force on the S system by Q. So this gives the total force acting on S,q1,q2 together. Subtract the force acting on q1, and the force acting on q2, and you get the force acting on S alone.

Ok, so by Gauss's Law I would have E = (q1+q2)/(4pi epsilon r^2). So the force on Q would be F = QE.

The electric field in q1's cavity would be E = -q1/(4pi epsilon s^2), where s is the radius of the cavity? I think that a charge of -q1 would be induced on the inner wall of the conductor, but I'm not sure. Similarly for q2.

Please correct me if there's a problem. Thanks.

meteorologist1 said:
Ok, so by Gauss's Law I would have E = (q1+q2)/(4pi epsilon r^2). So the force on Q would be F = QE.

The electric field in q1's cavity would be E = -q1/(4pi epsilon s^2), where s is the radius of the cavity? I think that a charge of -q1 would be induced on the inner wall of the conductor, but I'm not sure. Similarly for q2.

Please correct me if there's a problem. Thanks.

You've got the force on Q right.

You've got the right idea for the electric field in the cavities. But what you need is the electric field created by all the charges except the one in the cavity. I apologize, I didn't mention this in my previous post. You get the total electric field created by all charges except q1. Multiply by q1, to get the force on q1.

When you have a cavity in a conductor, all charges outside the cavity create a total of 0 electric field inside the cavity. Your textbook might have a proof of this.

So force on q1=0. force on q2=0.

The force on S=(force on Q)-0-0=force on Q (which you already know).

1. What is a spherical conductor with cavities?

A spherical conductor with cavities is a type of conductor that has hollow spaces or cavities within its spherical shape. These cavities can be either empty or filled with another material.

2. How does a spherical conductor with cavities differ from a solid spherical conductor?

A solid spherical conductor is a completely filled sphere with no cavities, while a spherical conductor with cavities has empty spaces within its spherical shape. This can affect the conductivity and electric field within the conductor.

3. What is the purpose of having cavities in a spherical conductor?

The presence of cavities in a spherical conductor allows for greater control over the electric field and potential distribution within the conductor. It can also reduce the overall weight and cost of the conductor.

4. How are cavities created in a spherical conductor?

Cavities can be created in a spherical conductor through various methods such as drilling, milling, or casting. The size and location of the cavities can also be controlled during the manufacturing process.

5. What are some applications of spherical conductors with cavities?

Spherical conductors with cavities are commonly used in electrical engineering and physics research, particularly in studies involving electric fields and potential distribution. They can also be used in practical applications such as lightning protection systems and high-voltage transmission lines.