Register to reply

Parentheses around mismatched size fractions in LaTeX

by wolfbd
Tags: latex fractions, vphantom
Share this thread:
wolfbd
Apr29-12, 05:43 PM
P: 1
I have a fraction in the denominator of another fraction, and I'm trying to put a set of brackets around it. However, I can't seem to get them to size properly. Example below:

Q_1 \left[ \frac{Q_2}{4\pi \left( r_2+\sqrt{ \dfrac{Q_2\gamma A}{4\pi}} \right)^2 } + Q_3 \right]
which comes out as

\begin{equation}
Q_1 \left[ \frac{Q_2}{4\pi \left( r_2+\sqrt{ \dfrac{Q_2\gamma A}{4\pi}} \right)^2 } +Q_3\right]
\end{equation}

Obviously, I want to get rid of the space at the top. I've tried using \Bigg[ (which ends up too small) and even creating my own sizing in the preamble:
\makeatletter
\newcommand{\vast}{\bBigg@{4}}
\makeatother
(which ends up too big since it only accepts integer sizing, as far as I can tell). Any ideas? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
AlephZero
May2-12, 09:17 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,959
You can get the brackets right by putting the fraction inside a matrix.

That leaves the ##Q_1## in a silly place, but you can fix that with the \vphantom{} command. \vphantom{} works out the vertical height of what is inside the {}, and creates an invisible zero-width object of that size.

So, in front of the matrix in [ ] , make another matrix without backets, use \vphantom to make it the same height, and the ##Q_1## will line up with the ##Q_3##.

\begin{matrix}
\vphantom{\frac{Q_2}{4\pi \left( r_2+\sqrt{ \dfrac{Q_2\gamma A}{4\pi}} \right)^2 }}
Q_1 
\end{matrix}
\begin{bmatrix} 
\frac{Q_2}{4\pi \left( r_2+\sqrt{ \dfrac{Q_2\gamma A}{4\pi}} \right)^2 } + Q_3
\end{bmatrix}
$$\begin{matrix}
\vphantom{\frac{Q_2}{4\pi \left( r_2+\sqrt{ \dfrac{Q_2\gamma A}{4\pi}} \right)^2 }}
Q_1
\end{matrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{Q_2}{4\pi \left( r_2+\sqrt{ \dfrac{Q_2\gamma A}{4\pi}} \right)^2 } + Q_3
\end{bmatrix}$$

if you are a perfectionist, you might want to put a bit of negative space in between the two matrices as well.

Easy peasy.
D H
May2-12, 10:54 PM
Mentor
P: 15,067
Quote Quote by wolfbd View Post
\begin{equation}
Q_1 \left[ \frac{Q_2}{4\pi \left( r_2+\sqrt{ \dfrac{Q_2\gamma A}{4\pi}} \right)^2 } +Q_3\right]
\end{equation}
One problem is that you are fighting LaTeX by using \dfrac. Simply changing to \frac improves things to some extent:

[tex]Q_1 \left[ \frac{Q_2}{4\pi \left( r_2+\sqrt{ \frac{Q_2\gamma A}{4\pi}} \right)^2 } + Q_3 \right][/tex]

There are other ways to represent division. Sometimes [itex]a/b[/itex] looks better than [itex]\frac a b[/itex]:
[tex]Q_1 \left[ \frac{Q_2}{4\pi \left( r_2+\sqrt{ (Q_2\gamma A)/(4\pi)} \right)^2 } + Q_3 \right][/tex]

You can pull the [itex]4\pi[/itex] inside the parentheses as [itex]\sqrt{4\pi}[/itex]. This clears the denominator that is the root cause of your problems:
[tex]Q_1 \left[ \frac{Q_2}{\left( r_2\sqrt{4\pi}+\sqrt{Q_2\gamma A} \right)^2 } + Q_3 \right][/tex]

Sometimes \left and \right are too big. This is one of those times. Use \bigl and \bigr instead:
[tex]Q_1 \left[ \frac{Q_2}{\bigl( r_2\sqrt{4\pi}+\sqrt{Q_2\gamma A} \bigr)^2 } + Q_3 \right][/tex]

Register to reply