Conservation of Mass Question

by Red_CCF
Tags: conservation, mass
Share this thread:
Red_CCF
May2-12, 07:07 PM
P: 492
Hi

Just a quick question about Conservation of Mass that I somehow managed to confuse myself:

If I have a vent of constant cross section at steady state, given that conservation of mass means that inlet and exit mass flow rate must be the same, does this mean that, taking the compressibility of gas into account (for this example I'm assuming Ma > 0.3 although unrealistic in real life), this means that the exit velocity must be greater than the inlet velocity (temperature and pressure are the same in inlet and exit)?

Basically my question is (and I know this sounds stupid), conservation of mass holds always even if the gas is compressible?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Printing the metals of the future
New gadget helps the vision-impaired to read graphs
3D printing helps designers build a better brick
olivermsun
May3-12, 10:28 AM
P: 646
Conservation of mass always holds.

In your example, "steady state" would usually mean that mass (and hence gas pressure) aren't building up between the inlet and the exit.
Bob S
May3-12, 03:27 PM
P: 4,663
Use grams per second as flow rate.

Red_CCF
May4-12, 10:29 AM
P: 492
Conservation of Mass Question

Quote Quote by olivermsun View Post
Conservation of mass always holds.

In your example, "steady state" would usually mean that mass (and hence gas pressure) aren't building up between the inlet and the exit.
Hi

So at steady and the gas is flowing very fast such that it becomes compressed by the time it gets to the outlet (so its density is higher at the outlet than inlet). Keeping P and T known and constant and area as constant, then the gas velocity at the outlet and inlet are related by the inlet density/exit density = exit velocity/inlet velocity? And the ideal gas law can be used to relate the densities (assuming the P and T conditions are ideal enough)?

Thanks

Register to reply