Register to reply

C++ Vectors

by Peter P.
Tags: vectors
Share this thread:
Peter P.
May10-12, 09:01 PM
P: 24
I decided to make the switch from C to C++ and I'm having trouble with vectors. In C, I prefer to use dynamically allocated arrays when doing multidimensional arrays. But in C++, I know that there is the new function which replaced malloc. I read that when dealing with multidimensional arrays in C++, ideally a vector would be used.

So my question is, can someone just provide a quick run through of creating a 2D vector, changing the size of the vector, and then deleting it? Thank you in advance, any help is much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
jtbell
May10-12, 09:15 PM
Mentor
P: 11,782
See the following thread for an example:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=509358

One way to change the number of rows in the example linked above:
mymatrix.resize (numrows_new);
If this adds new rows (i.e. you increase the size), they'll be empty (zero length). If you want the new rows to have the same size as the existing ones:
mymatrix.resize (numrows_new, vector<double>(numcols));
In either case, if you decrease the number of rows, they're "chopped off" the end (bottom) of the matrix.
To change the number of columns, you have to change the size of each row:

for (int row=0; row<numrows; row++)
{
    mymatrix[row].resize(numcols_new);
}

Register to reply