Why is WR for 4x100m relay less than 4 times WR for 100m sprint.

• Thread starter glb_lub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relay
In summary, the world's fastest man, Usain Bolt, features in all the races and the record time for the 4x100m relay is less than 4 times the 100m sprint record.
glb_lub
Hello,

The 2012 London Olympics concluded a day or two ago. We saw that a few records were broken in athletics. In particular, the 4x100m men's relay record.

Currently the WR are as follows :-

1) 100m Men's sprint - 9.58 s
2) 200m Men's sprint - 19.19s
3) 4x100m Men's relay - 36.84s

The world's fastest man Usain Bolt features in all the races. Thus in the relay the 4 athletes are either as fast as Bolt(i.e Bolt himself) or slower.
Now if one observes the record time for relay, it is 36.84s , which is less than 4 times the 100m sprint record. Whereas the record time for 200m is more than twice the 100m sprint record.

I think I understand why it is so for 200m sprint (it is relatively easier to sustain high speeds for smaller bursts ) . But I am unable to explain the 4x100m relay case in a succinct way.

Each athlete runs 100m in the 4x100m sprint. But only the first runner has to start at the sound of gun fire. Whereas for the other 3 runners, there is a 20m changeover box,during which the baton changes hands. So I guess, the acceleration time and deceleration time for 1st and 2nd runner overlap partially (similarly for 2nd and 3rd , etc).

I guess my explanation has loopholes and would like to know more about this issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the total time does not include the acceleration of the 3 last runners (the baton gets a "running start" with those runners, so to speak) it is not surprising that the total time is less than 4 x 100m. Even assuming that runners cannot run at their maximum speed when they pass the baton there will be much time saved. For the 400 m relay to compare to 4 x 100 m the next runner would have to wait in his start block and only start accelerating when the baton is in his hand - then you'd see total times >= 4 x 100 m.

Filip Larsen said:
Since the total time does not include the acceleration of the 3 last runners (the baton gets a "running start" with those runners, so to speak) it is not surprising that the total time is less than 4 x 100m. Even assuming that runners cannot run at their maximum speed when they pass the baton there will be much time saved. For the 400 m relay to compare to 4 x 100 m the next runner would have to wait in his start block and only start accelerating when the baton is in his hand - then you'd see total times >= 4 x 100 m.

Thanks. That was nicely put.

1. Why is the world record for the 4x100m relay faster than the world record for the 100m sprint?

The world record for the 4x100m relay is faster than the world record for the 100m sprint because it is a team event where multiple athletes are running and passing the baton, as opposed to a single athlete running the entire distance in the 100m sprint. This allows for the relay team to divide the workload and run faster overall.

2. What role do baton exchanges play in the difference between the WR for 4x100m relay and 100m sprint?

Baton exchanges play a crucial role in the difference between the world record for the 4x100m relay and the 100m sprint. In the 4x100m relay, each exchange of the baton between runners must be executed smoothly and efficiently in order to maintain momentum and maximize speed. This is not a factor in the 100m sprint, where the runner does not have to rely on anyone else.

3. Are there any differences in training and preparation between the 4x100m relay and 100m sprint?

Yes, there are differences in training and preparation between the 4x100m relay and the 100m sprint. In the 4x100m relay, athletes must focus on speed, endurance, and baton exchanges, whereas in the 100m sprint, the focus is solely on speed and explosive power. Relay runners also have to practice their handoffs and work on their coordination as a team, which is not necessary for individual sprinters.

4. Does wind speed and direction affect the WR for the 4x100m relay differently than the 100m sprint?

Wind speed and direction can have a significant impact on both the 4x100m relay and the 100m sprint, however, the effect may differ. In the 100m sprint, a strong tailwind can give the runner an advantage and potentially result in a faster time. In the 4x100m relay, however, a strong tailwind can make it more difficult for the incoming runner to properly execute a baton exchange, potentially slowing down the team's overall time.

5. Are there any other factors that contribute to the WR for the 4x100m relay being faster than the 100m sprint?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to the WR for the 4x100m relay being faster than the 100m sprint, such as the order of the relay team and the individual strengths and weaknesses of each runner. A well-balanced relay team with a strong anchor runner can result in a faster time compared to a team with a weaker anchor runner. Additionally, the atmosphere and pressure of competing in a team event may also play a role in the overall performance of the relay team.