Transformer core

by jorjijon
Tags: core, transformer
Share this thread:
jorjijon
Sep30-12, 02:55 PM
P: 3
hello
i have a question about the transformer core.when we make it's core,we usually make it laminated to reduce eddy currents.but i saw that there is a soldeing in the corner of the transformer core.why we do this ?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
California quake points to research advancements in retrofitting older buildings
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
I_am_learning
Sep30-12, 07:49 PM
P: 669
I have never seen such solder in the corner of the transformer core. Do you have pictures?
Antiphon
Sep30-12, 08:27 PM
P: 1,781
Quote Quote by jorjijon View Post
hello
i have a question about the transformer core.when we make it's core,we usually make it laminated to reduce eddy currents.but i saw that there is a soldeing in the corner of the transformer core.why we do this ?
It's a weld, not soldering. It's there to keep the laminations from vibrating or otherwise working loose.

jorjijon
Oct1-12, 08:08 AM
Transformer core

Quote Quote by Antiphon View Post
It's a weld, not soldering. It's there to keep the laminations from vibrating or otherwise working loose.
Thank you very much.but still i have a question.by doing this way,don't we ruin our works to decrease eddy currents in the core??
NascentOxygen
Oct1-12, 08:16 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,372
All 4 corner edges are welded?
jorjijon
Oct3-12, 07:42 AM
Quote Quote by NascentOxygen View Post
All 4 corner edges are welded?
yes.but doesn't it increase eddy currents(core losses) in the transformer?
uart
Oct3-12, 10:06 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,751
Would it surprise you if I said that you can electrically connect all of the laminations together and it won't (necessarily) increase eddy current loss?

The key feature of the laminations is that hey should allow no transverse conductive loop to encloses a significant amount of the flux. It is possible to apply a shallow weld in the corners without violating this feature.
Carl Pugh
Oct3-12, 11:06 AM
P: 384
Assuming that the core is E & I laminations and the weld is only on the outside.
The weld acts like a half turn of a conductor. The half turn puts a voltage across the inside of the laminations. If the volltage is low (60 hertz and a small transformer) then the current through the inside laminations is low and the loss is low.

Register to reply