engineers unhealthy?

by rustled_jimmy
Tags: engineers, unhealthy
rustled_jimmy
Nov25-12, 05:57 PM
P: 2
in my work place, it seems that most people have very poor eating habits and posture and like to scoff at me and call me a health freak just because i take care of my body. i noticed in school and engineering events, a lot of the meal choices for meetings or presentations was usually take out food or pizza. if engineers are logical and smart, why cant we think about how we're treating our bodies?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
boneh3ad
Nov25-12, 08:52 PM
P: 1,438
Over-generalize much?
Vadar2012
Nov25-12, 10:13 PM
P: 208
Yeah damm man, I eat mostly health food. My meetings consist of salad sanwhiches... and orange juice. Although I do sit weirdly in my chair, but we all can't be perfect. I do cop some comments, but not from engineers.

AlephZero
Nov25-12, 11:44 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,344

engineers unhealthy?

All you need for healthy living is to make sure you get plenty of each of the five basic food groups - sugar, fat, salt, caffeine, and alcohol
xxChrisxx
Nov26-12, 04:43 AM
P: 2,032
Quote Quote by rustled_jimmy View Post
in my work place, it seems that most people have very poor eating habits and posture and like to scoff at me and call me a health freak just because i take care of my body. i noticed in school and engineering events, a lot of the meal choices for meetings or presentations was usually take out food or pizza. if engineers are logical and smart, why cant we think about how we're treating our bodies?
This post deserves some real abuse. Either it's thinly veiled contempt for 'dem fatties', or a genuinely stupid question.

I'll even highlight the answer, which you so kindly posted yourself.
in my work place, it seems that most people have very poor eating habits
Engineers are people. What's it to you what people eat, say, do or sit like?

I'll now address the more probable reason why you made this thread. Considering your other posts, you seem to be tremendously thin skinned and have come across some (what seems like minor) critisim at work.

Taking that into account, this doesn't seem like a genuine question at all. It does seem like a snide little dig, to give yourself a bit of an ego boost. By highlighing the one area where you see yourself as subjectively 'better' than your colleagues.

EDIT: OK so I've just reread your other post, and you say you are on the autism spectrum (seemingly who isn't these days). So maybe we can give you a bit of leeway on this.

You may not have picked up on it due to your condition, but people rib each other all the time, and it's all in good humour. It's not a real dig at you taking a healthy approach.
sophiecentaur
Dec5-12, 11:20 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,352
Isn't it just 'Blokes in general' who eat badly?
You will probably find, however, that fewer than average engineers smoke. That, at least, has been my experience when comparing them with groups of teachers, medics, police, social workers. performers, artists etc.. Engineering is a less stressful job than many (yes!) - allowing more projects to be taken to a successful conclusion than many professions - which could be one reason for the lack of need for nicotine.
Swings and roundabouts I think.
Integral
Dec5-12, 11:26 AM
Mentor
P: 7,291
What I find shocking is the number of smoking, overweight people I see working in doctors offices. You would think that they of all people would have an appreciation for healthy living.
sophiecentaur
Dec5-12, 11:28 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,352
A friend of mine was a theatre sister in a busy hospital, working with lung cancer operations on a daily basis. Almost all the theatre staff used to pop out for a ciggy between operations. Amazing.
wuliheron
Dec5-12, 11:35 AM
P: 1,967
According to the National Science Foundation one in five Americans still believes the sun revolves around the earth. That's not an issue with low IQ or poor education, but flat out denial and to deny that denial has a huge impact is, in and of itself, denial.
phinds
Dec5-12, 12:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,680
This sounds like a "dumb blond" kind of comment. I worked all my life with engineers and the only difference I saw between us and the general population was that there tended to be fewer really fat people in engineering than in the general population.
Aero51
Dec5-12, 12:27 PM
P: 546
He's got a point. I dont know too many engineers that go to the gym and strength train regularly. In fact, come to think of it, I don't know many engineers that are knowledgeable in nutrition. It requires a certain type of thinking, sometimes called common sense, that is required to maintain a healthy body.

Notice my subtle comment. :)
phinds
Dec5-12, 12:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,680
Quote Quote by Aero51 View Post
He's got a point. I dont know too many engineers that go to the gym and strength train regularly. In fact, come to think of it, I don't know many engineers that are knowledgeable in nutrition. It requires a certain type of thinking, sometimes called common sense, that is required to maintain a healthy body.
Another dumb blond statement. Do you really think engineers have less common sense that the general population? What planet do you live on?
micromass
Dec5-12, 12:58 PM
Mentor
P: 16,562
This thread seems to be going off into the deep end.

First of all, does anybody have any actual evidence that engineers are unhealthy other than personal anecdotes??

If nobody has such evidence, then this thread is based on nothing and it will be locked.
Aero51
Dec5-12, 01:16 PM
P: 546
Phinda, obviously you take these comments personally. Dont. Also, all my statements are purely from experience I dont see why that invalidates an argument. A big problem with the scientific community is that knowledge from experience is looked down upon.
micromass
Dec5-12, 01:27 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Aero51 View Post
A big problem with the scientific community is that knowledge from experience is looked down upon.
For good reason in my opinion!! Otherwise we would also believe in silly things like alien visitors and government conspiracies.

Evidence by personal anecdotes is not acceptable here. So please only post if you have some actual evidence.
micromass
Dec5-12, 02:04 PM
Mentor
Let's keep this thread on topic please.
If anybody wants to discuss personal experience vs scientific evidence, then feel free to create a new thread about it.
Mentalist
Dec5-12, 02:26 PM
P: 32
rustled_Jimmy. You're speaking from a bubble, or just your personal experience. There are many more engineers than the 5-15 you see every day, so you should not make such generalizations about people as a group based on the limited experience you have.
dkin
Dec6-12, 03:18 PM
P: 5
I am an engineer and I just ate an Indian takeaway, along with soup. Not very healthy. So in my experience you are correct.

Register to reply