Depletion zone of a n-i junction

by IRobot
Tags: depletion, junction, zone
IRobot
Feb16-13, 09:57 AM
P: 87
Hi,
I am interested in a junction between n doped and intrinsic GaAs, specifically the localization and width of the depletion zone (where the built-in E field is). In a p-n junction the depletion zone is calculated under the condition of electro-neutrality, if I see i-GaAs as really really low doped p-GaAs, can I consider that the depletion zone will be mostly in the i-GaAs? (I have in mind a juxtaposition of one layer of n-GaAs with a layer of i-GaAs which has twice the width of the first one)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
Global scientific team 'visualizes' a new crystallization process (w/ video)
marcusl
Feb16-13, 11:48 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
In a p-i-n structure, the depletion zone looks similar to that of a p-n but with the additional i region in the center. In photodiodes and RF switch devices, the i region width d is (I think) much larger than the widths of the depletion zones in the p and n layers, so the total depletion width will be a little larger than d.
IRobot
Feb16-13, 12:07 PM
P: 87
Well, in my case there is no p-layer behind the i region, the piece is really engineered like that. Or at least it is presented like that in the article based on this device.
At the moment, I am really inclined to look at the i region as a p region feebly doped in comparison to the n one, and in this case I would have a depletion layer entering over the i-GaAs.

Register to reply