Task with spring, energy, velocity and angle

In summary, the problem involves a projectile being loaded into a spring cannon, with the goal of finding its velocity as it leaves the spring. The cannon is angled at 38 degrees above the horizontal and has a mass of 0.025kg, a spring constant of 100 N/m, and a starting position of 0.13m. When pressed down, the spring is compressed by 13 cm and stops expanding when it has 5 cm of winding left. The equations used to solve this problem are 0.5*k*x^2, 0.5*m*v^2, and mgh (with the assumption that there is no friction). The final solution involves accounting for the angle of the cannon and modifying the impact
DrOnline

Homework Statement

A projectile is loaded into a spring cannon.

Find its velocity as it leaves the spring.

The cannon is angled at 38 degrees above the horizontal. (θ=38)

m=0.025kg
k=100 N/m
x0=0.13m
x1=0.05m

(We press the spring down 13 cm when we load it. When it stops expanding, it still has 5 cm of winding left. Bit ambiguous in the text, but I interpret this to mean there is some mechanism that stops it from expanding the full 13 cm)

Homework Equations

0.5*k*x^2
0.5*m*v^2
mgh

E(initial) = E(final)

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I have to account for the angle to find the velocity as it leaves the spring?

Please correct me on this:

1) The energy contribution from the spring does not need to be vectorized, because it is angled in parallell with the angle of the velocity we're measuring.

2) The contribution from gravity also does not need to be vectorized, because when there is no friction, all the gravity will push against the spring direction regardless of angle. This one I am really unsure of..

If I pretend the cannon points completely vertically:

Njuw3yV.jpg

0cgyBEH.jpg

3) If statement 3 is correct: all angles for the cannon between 90 and 0 will give the same velocity.
If statement 3 is incorrect, and the retarding contribution from gravity changes with angle, surely 90 degrees (completely vertical) will give the lowest velocity, and 0 degrees with give the highest.

This conflicts with my calculations of 7.69 m/s for vertical, because the answer given is only 7.53 m/s

What am I doing wrong? Any help whatsoever would be appreciated, spent.. 4 hours on this simply task now hah!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The gain in gravitational PE is only related to the change in height, so, yes, you do need to multiply by the sine of the angle. Your mistake is that you are adding the gain in gravitational PE instead of subtracting it. (.05-.13 will be negative.)

Thanks.

I am learning physics in a language other than English.

What is PE an acronym for?

Are you using the term "gain" in the same sense I am using the word "contribution"?

Actually, I see that if g= -9.81 that takes care of itself... Which makes sense.

And then I need to do some trigonometry work to modify the impact of gravity taking into account the angle.

Gonna give that a go tomorrow, way past midnight here heh.

DrOnline said:
What is PE an acronym for?
Potential Energy. In the present problem there is PE in the spring and gravitational PE.
Are you using the term "gain" in the same sense I am using the word "contribution"?
As the spring expands, there is a loss of PE in the spring, a gain (increase) of gravitational PE, and a gain of KE (kinetic energy).

Thanks again. I should have understood PE stands for potential energy. I know how that works.

I have made the changes to the calculations now and it looks good to me, uploading it in case somebody else wonders about this problem in the future:

VzRGLpP.jpg

Related to Task with spring, energy, velocity and angle

1. How does spring force impact the velocity of an object?

Spring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. As the spring is compressed or stretched, it exerts a force on the object attached to it. This force can either increase or decrease the velocity of the object, depending on the direction of the force and the initial velocity of the object.

2. How is the potential energy of a spring related to its displacement?

The potential energy stored in a spring is directly proportional to the square of its displacement from equilibrium. This means that as the spring is compressed or stretched further, the potential energy increases exponentially.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of a spring and its potential energy?

The angle of a spring does not directly affect its potential energy. It is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position that determines the potential energy stored in the spring.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its velocity when released from a spring?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its velocity when released from a spring. However, a heavier object may require a stronger spring to achieve the same velocity as a lighter object.

5. How can the angle of a spring be changed to alter the velocity of an object?

The angle of a spring can be changed by adjusting its position or by using different springs with varying spring constants. Changing the angle of the spring can alter the direction of the force exerted on the object, thus affecting its velocity.