by fouad89
Tags: planetary, speeds
Share this thread:
fouad89
Feb21-13, 01:14 PM
P: 21
Hi

I read up on astronomy for fun and I find the cosmos very fascinating

my question is what determines the speed of a planet? whys does earth spin at its current speed where's Venus spins almost 224 earth days.

I believe I read that the reason why the earth spins in the first place is inertia; our planet was made up of cosmic dust spinning this way and once the earth was formed it kept on spinning.

thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Magnetar discovered close to supernova remnant Kesteven 79
Image: Hubble looks at light and dark in the universe
Mixing in star-forming clouds explains why sibling stars look alike
phinds
Feb21-13, 02:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,364
Quote Quote by fouad89 View Post

I believe I read that the reason why the earth spins in the first place is inertia; our planet was made up of cosmic dust spinning this way and once the earth was formed it kept on spinning.
Yes, that's correct. Why would you think that Venus formed in some different way?
fouad89
Feb21-13, 03:49 PM
so what you are saying is that the cosmic dust was rotating at some speed as it was forming our planet, and the earth kept that speed ( - a few m/s) and that's why planets rotate at there current speed today ?

phinds
Feb21-13, 04:27 PM
PF Gold
Planetary speeds

so what you are saying is that the cosmic dust was rotating at some speed as it was forming our planet, and the earth kept that speed ( - a few m/s) and that's why planets rotate at there current speed today ?
You asked why venus was different than earth. I was suggesting that you think about the possiblity that the rotating dust that formed Venus came together at a differnt rate.

There is another factor in Earth's rotation speed. What is a big differnce between the Earth and Venus?
fouad89
Feb21-13, 04:36 PM
I wasn't particularly asking about Venus, I was just curious of where the planets get there rotational current speeds from

what answer are you looking for between the Earth and Venus, there are significant differences between the two sister planets;

1) the existence of the Earth magnetic field

2) the CO2 atmosphere Venus has

3) the existence of active tectonic plates on the Earth

4) LIFE

the list goes on and on
phinds
Feb21-13, 04:58 PM
PF Gold
I wasn't particularly asking about Venus, I was just curious of where the planets get there rotational current speeds from

what answer are you looking for between the Earth and Venus, there are significant differences between the two sister planets;

1) the existence of the Earth magnetic field

2) the CO2 atmosphere Venus has

3) the existence of active tectonic plates on the Earth

4) LIFE

the list goes on and on
Yes, but you left out the one that is important regarding the rotation of the Earth.
Chronos
Feb21-13, 05:37 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,455
The histories of all the planets are complicated. For example, the moon is believed to have been the result of a collision between earth and another body about the size of mars. Neptune is thought to have been knocked sideways by a similar collision. Generally speaking, the rotation period of planets in the solar system appears to be related to their size - big planets spin fast, little planets spin slower. Ostensibly this is because big planets accreted more material hence acquired more angular momentum during their formation. Without knowing all the historical details, understanding the current rotational speeds of the planets is very difficult.

Register to reply