Register to reply

How does positive charge spread out in conductors?

Share this thread:
jperentosh
Feb25-13, 08:35 PM
P: 8
I know that when there are excess positive charges in a conductor, for example, a metal sphere, the positive charges will spread out over its surface. However, I am confused about how this excess charge spreads out over the surface, if protons cannot move and only electrons can move.
Can someone please inform me on how the excess positive charge spreads out over the surfaces of conductors?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
berkeman
Feb25-13, 08:57 PM
Mentor
P: 41,109
Quote Quote by jperentosh View Post
I know that when there are excess positive charges in a conductor, for example, a metal sphere, the positive charges will spread out over its surface. However, I am confused about how this excess charge spreads out over the surface, if protons cannot move and only electrons can move.
Can someone please inform me on how the excess positive charge spreads out over the surfaces of conductors?
How do you "know" this? Could you provide a textbook reference that states this? It is not true...
xAxis
Feb25-13, 10:47 PM
P: 210
Just imagine the situation. Excess positive charge means there is a lack of electrons. Would you really expect that in that case, say left side of the sphere would stay without electrons, and all electrons on the right side of the sphere would stay there?

sophiecentaur
Feb26-13, 05:42 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,186
How does positive charge spread out in conductors?

Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
How do you "know" this? Could you provide a textbook reference that states this? It is not true...
I think you are being a bit harsh here. It is not necessary to discuss nuts and bolts (electrons) in the context of most matters electrical. You can treat Positive and Negative elecrostatic charges in exactly the same way in many or even most cases. Any decent model of electricity should work just as well in a world of antimatter - even if we have only, so far, produced about 30 Anti-Hydrogen atoms.

Do we not discuss Holes in solid state physics?

Register to reply