Teaching Positions in a Fanuc Robot

In summary, the conversation revolves around working with Fanuc robots and making small moves in the robot's point positions. The speaker uses RJ 2 or 3 controllers on MIG welders and has been using a manual process that is not very precise. They are wondering if there is a way to specify a specific distance in the positive direction along the Y Axis. They have searched online and found a potential solution through a patent application for a software packet.
LURCH
Science Advisor
Has anyone here worked with Fanuc robots? At my shop, we use RJ 2 or 3 controllers on all of our MIG welders. I sometimes have to make small moves in the robot's point positions. This is generally done by putting the robot's coordinate system in "Tool", finding the axis I need, and then setting the speed to 2 or 3 %, and "bumping" the directional button a couple times until the location looks about right. Obviously, this process is not very precise. I'm wondering if there isn't a way to just tell the bot that I need to go ".3mm in the positive direction along the Y Axis"?

I'm looking around online for instructions on Fanc RJ2/3 controllers, but this question is too complex for any of the search engines I use to find an answer on the net. I could look it up in the manual, but that's at the shop and when I'm there I don't have time to read! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
OK; after some pretty extensive searching, I did find an answder of sorts. Clusty dug up a link to a patent application for a software packet that would do what I want. I guess that settles that!

FAQ: Teaching Positions in a Fanuc Robot

1. What is a "Teaching Position" in a Fanuc Robot?

A "Teaching Position" in a Fanuc Robot refers to the process of manually teaching or programming the robot's movements and positions. This is done by manually moving the robot's arm to desired positions and recording them as waypoints, which can then be used to create a sequence of movements for the robot to follow.

2. What are the qualifications for a Teaching Position in a Fanuc Robot?

The qualifications for a Teaching Position in a Fanuc Robot may vary depending on the specific job requirements, but generally, it requires a strong understanding of robotics and automation, as well as experience in programming and using Fanuc robots. A degree in engineering or a related field may also be preferred.

3. What skills are needed for a Teaching Position in a Fanuc Robot?

Some key skills that are needed for a Teaching Position in a Fanuc Robot include knowledge of programming languages such as G-Code and APT, proficiency in using robotic simulation software, and mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills. It is also important to have a good understanding of robotics and automation principles.

4. What are the job responsibilities of a Teaching Position in a Fanuc Robot?

The job responsibilities of a Teaching Position in a Fanuc Robot may include programming and configuring the robot for specific tasks, testing and troubleshooting the robot's movements, collaborating with engineers and technicians to optimize the robot's performance, and ensuring the safety of the robot's operations.

5. Are there any additional training or certifications required for a Teaching Position in a Fanuc Robot?

While specific training and certifications may vary depending on the job requirements, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of Fanuc robots and completing training programs offered by the company may be beneficial. Additionally, obtaining certifications in robotics and automation can also be advantageous for this position.

Back