How Heat Energy Transfers Through a Pan of Water

In summary, heat is transported through the walls of a pan of water on a gas cooker by conduction, convection, and radiation.
Molly1235
"Explain how energy gets from the flame of a gas cooker to the contents of a pan of water above the flame".

This has stumped me...I've only got as far as the metal pam conducting heat energy, but them I don't know why it is transferred through the water...?

Science news on Phys.org
What are the three ways heat can be transported? Conduction is one, what are the other two and which do you think is likely to occur and where?

CWatters said:
What are the three ways heat can be transported? Conduction is one, what are the other two and which do you think is likely to occur and where?

Convection and radiation? Radiation would occur to boil the water wouldn't it? I'm not sure about convection though...

Convection and radiation are the other two.

OK here are some hints...

1) The burning gas rises up to the pan and flows up the sides of the pan due to...??

2) The heat is conducted through the walls of the pan into the water. (You already got that).

3) The layer of water on the bottom of the pan is heated first. Soon it is hotter than rest of the water so...??

Is the first convection and third radiation?

...as radiation gives the particles of the food more energy, so they vibrate faster and produce heat which heats the food?

Sorry but 1 and 3 are both convection.

Inside the space station where there is no gravity a candle flame is spherical because there is no convection. On Earth the hot flame cause the burnt gas and air to rise by convection.

Inside the pan the water on the bottom is heated first by conduction so it becomes less dense than the rest of the water and convection is triggered. The hot water rises and is replaced by colder water which sinks and is heated in turn by conduction. You can see the water moving in this vid with the aid of some die..

With an electric ring you would get a mixture of conduction and radiation between the red hot ring and the bottom of the pan although I'm not sure what proportion of the heat flows by each method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh ok! I'm with you! Apologies, I haven't actually studied this so I'm working from scratch! Always helpful when you get set work you've been taught nothing about...

1. How does heat energy transfer through a pan of water?

The process of heat transfer through a pan of water is known as conduction. This means that heat is transferred from the hotter parts of the pan to the cooler parts of the pan through direct contact between the pan and the water molecules.

2. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer in a pan of water?

The rate of heat transfer in a pan of water can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the pan and the water, the material and thickness of the pan, the surface area of the pan in contact with the water, and the thermal conductivity of the pan and water.

3. How does the heat energy from a stove or burner transfer to the pan of water?

The heat energy from a stove or burner is transferred to the pan of water through radiation. This means that the heat energy is emitted in the form of electromagnetic waves, which travel through the air and are absorbed by the pan, causing the water molecules in contact with the pan to gain energy and increase in temperature.

4. Can heat energy transfer through water without the use of a pan or container?

Yes, heat energy can transfer through water without the use of a pan or container. This process is known as convection, where the heat energy is transferred through the movement of water molecules. This is commonly seen in natural occurrences such as ocean currents and weather patterns.

5. How does the movement of water molecules affect the transfer of heat energy?

The movement of water molecules can affect the transfer of heat energy in a pan of water. When the water molecules are in constant motion, they create a more efficient transfer of heat energy, leading to a faster increase in temperature. This is why stirring a pan of water can help evenly distribute heat and speed up the cooking process.