Stellar or Solar system Astronomy??

by Jokmal
Tags: solar system, stellar
Jokmal
Jul8-13, 06:25 PM
P: 6
I'm an engineering student and next quarter I will have space for an elective class and I wanted to do something with astronomy. My options are stellar astronomy and Solar System Astronomy, my school only offers these two courses, and I dont know which one to choose. Part of the problem is that I'm don't know much about what they are about besides that "stellar" for its name has to do with stars, and Solar... well I guess it has to do with the formation of the solar system. But not quite sure about that.

Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Unique pair of supermassive black holes in an ordinary galaxy discovered
Red stars and big bulges: How black holes shape galaxies
Image: X-raying the cosmos
Bobbywhy
Jul8-13, 06:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,857
From the course titles you seem to have determined the general topic of each course. Detailed course descriptions are normally available from the school that offers them. Based on these a student normally decides which course she prefers. If you remain undecided, plan to take both. Do you have some specific question for members here on Physics Forums?
Jokmal
Jul8-13, 09:33 PM
P: 6
After reading the course description I think I will go with solar system. The textbook is this one http://www.amazon.com/The-Solar-Syst.../dp/1111990654 I don't know much about astronomy and I would like to study it a little more,

so my questions are: have you guys worked with this book? if so what is your opinion. Also if you guys know of any other introductory books for astronomy.

thanks

Register to reply