Stellar or Solar system Astronomy?

In summary, the conversation is about an engineering student seeking advice on which astronomy elective to take. The options are stellar astronomy and Solar System Astronomy. The student is unsure of which one to choose and is seeking suggestions and comments from others. They mention that the solar system course textbook is "Introduction to Astronomy: Stars and Galaxies" and asks for opinions on it and other introductory astronomy books.
Jokmal
Stellar or Solar system Astronomy??

I'm an engineering student and next quarter I will have space for an elective class and I wanted to do something with astronomy. My options are stellar astronomy and Solar System Astronomy, my school only offers these two courses, and I don't know which one to choose. Part of the problem is that I'm don't know much about what they are about besides that "stellar" for its name has to do with stars, and Solar... well I guess it has to do with the formation of the solar system. But not quite sure about that.

Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
From the course titles you seem to have determined the general topic of each course. Detailed course descriptions are normally available from the school that offers them. Based on these a student normally decides which course she prefers. If you remain undecided, plan to take both. Do you have some specific question for members here on Physics Forums?

Thanks

After reading the course description I think I will go with solar system. The textbook is this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/1111990654/?tag=pfamazon01-20 I don't know much about astronomy and I would like to study it a little more,

so my questions are: have you guys worked with this book? if so what is your opinion. Also if you guys know of any other introductory books for astronomy.

thanks

1. What is the difference between a stellar and a solar system?

A stellar system refers to a group of stars that are gravitationally bound to each other, while a solar system specifically refers to the star (in our case, the Sun) and the planets and other objects that orbit around it.

2. How do scientists study stellar or solar systems?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study stellar or solar systems, including telescopes (both ground-based and space-based), spectroscopy, and computer simulations.

3. How are planets formed in a solar system?

Planets are formed in a solar system through a process called accretion, where small particles of dust and gas clump together over time to form larger objects, eventually growing into planets.

4. Can planets in a solar system have multiple moons?

Yes, planets in a solar system can have multiple moons. For example, Jupiter has 79 known moons, while Saturn has 82.

5. How do scientists determine the age of a star?

Scientists determine the age of a star by analyzing its composition, brightness, and distance from Earth. They also use models and simulations to estimate the star's age based on its mass and evolutionary stage.