Register to reply

Density of states in 3d

by aaaa202
Tags: density, states
Share this thread:
aaaa202
Oct6-13, 06:03 PM
P: 1,005
My book gives a treatment of this problem for crystal vibrations, but I don't really understand it. It says: There is one allowed value of K per volume (2[itex]\pi[/itex]/L)3. But at the same time it has just shown that Kx,Ky,Kz can take values 2[itex]\pi[/itex]/L which would certainly lead to more combinations of Kx,Ky,Kz within the volume confined by (2[itex]\pi[/itex]/L)3. What am I misunderstanding.
Also: applying periodic boundary conditions yields the condition that Kx,Ky,Kz=n2[itex]\pi[/itex]/L, while fixed ends yielded K=n[itex]\pi[/itex]/L, but my book says the two approaches yield identical results. How is that??
Attached Thumbnails
ds.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Gadolinium-based material that can be cooled by varying magnetic field
Hyo X
Oct6-13, 11:26 PM
P: 37
if you read the sentence without pausing, the meaning is slightly different.
"There is one allowed value of K per volume , for each polarization and for each branch."
so there are multiple K values allowed per volume
aaaa202
Oct7-13, 07:11 AM
P: 1,005
Well in this context, what does the word branch refer to? Different combinations of Kx,Ky,Kz?

nasu
Oct8-13, 08:02 AM
P: 1,970
Density of states in 3d

No, same combination of kx,ky,kz may correspond to different states with different energies.
Look at the acoustic and optic branch in a 1D chain with two types of atoms. This is the simplest example of "branches".
Here for each k there are two energies (or frequencies).

Register to reply