Register to reply

In memory: Rachel Corrie (1979 - 2003)

by Bilal
Tags: 1979, 2003, corrie, memory, rachel
Share this thread:
Bilal
Apr15-05, 07:19 PM
P: 407
Two years ago , An Israeli army bulldozer crushed Rachel Corrie as she tried to stop the demolition of a Palestinian home.

((Friday, March 18, 2005

Corrie family seeks answers at hearing

ELLYN FERGUSON

GANNETT NEWS SERVICE

WASHINGTON -- The family of Rachel Corrie continued Thursday to press for a more thorough investigation into the 2003 death of The Evergreen State College student in the Gaza Strip. ))

Website of Rachel

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

last minutes before death of Rachel with pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Corrie

Last emial of RACHEL:
((February 7 2003

Hi friends and family, and others,

I have been in Palestine for two weeks and one hour now, and I still have very few words to describe what I see. It is most difficult for me to think about what's going on here when I sit down to write back to the United States. Something about the virtual portal into luxury. I don't know if many of the children here have ever existed without tank-shell holes in their walls and the towers of an occupying army surveying them constantly from the near horizons. I think, although I'm not entirely sure, that even the smallest of these children understand that life is not like this everywhere. An eight-year-old was shot and killed by an Israeli tank two days before I got here, and many of the children murmur his name to me - Ali - or point at the posters of him on the walls. The children also love to get me to practice my limited Arabic by asking me, "Kaif Sharon?" "Kaif Bush?" and they laugh when I say, "Bush Majnoon", "Sharon Majnoon" back in my limited arabic. (How is Sharon? How is Bush? Bush is crazy. Sharon is crazy.) Of course this isn't quite what I believe, and some of the adults who have the English correct me: "Bush mish Majnoon" ... Bush is a businessman. Today I tried to learn to say, "Bush is a tool", but I don't think it translated quite right. But anyway, there are eight-year-olds here much more aware of the workings of the global power structure than I was just a few years ago. ))
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Bilal
Apr15-05, 07:21 PM
P: 407
The Death of Rachel Corrie
David Rovics

When she sat down in the dirt
In front of your machine
A lovely woman dressed in red
You in military green
If you had met her in Jerusalem
You might have asked her on a date
But here you were in Gaza
Rolling towards the gate

As your foot went to the floor
Did you recall her eyes
Did her gaze remind you
That you've become what you despise
As you rolled on towards this woman
And ignored all the shouts to stop
Did you feel a shred of doubt
As you watched her body drop

And as your Caterpillar tracks
Upon her body pressed
With twenty tons of deadly force
Crushed the bones within her chest
Could you feel the contours of her face
As you took her life away
Did you serve your country well
On that cool spring day

And when you went back across the Green Line
Back to the open shore
Did you think that this was just another day
In a dirty war
And when you looked out on the water
Did you feel an empty void
Or was it just one more life you've taken
One more home destroyed

Created March, 2003
Copyright David Rovics 2003, all rights reserved
russ_watters
Apr15-05, 08:10 PM
Mentor
P: 22,304
We've discussed this before: don't stand in front of a moving buldozer. Its inherrently dangerous.

Dayle Record
Apr15-05, 08:23 PM
P: 464
In memory: Rachel Corrie (1979 - 2003)

The real epiphany is, don't look for humanity where none exists. There is strength in numbers, fight the good fight, but make it count. The sum of your life's efforts can be great, if you persist, and live your life, and work for the good.
Apr17-05, 09:10 PM
P: 166
natural selection at work, people. don't stand infront of a very large moving vehicle unless you want to die. In the US the tank would have stopped because of lawyers, but israel is different.

compassion is worthless

Fibonacci
TRCSF
Apr20-05, 03:05 PM
P: 389
Quote Quote by russ_watters
We've discussed this before: don't stand in front of a moving buldozer. Its inherrently dangerous.
Well sure. You can also say, "don't piss off Roman governors, or they'll nail your *** to the tree," or "don't try to challenge two hundred years of racial segregation or some sniper will shoot your ***" or "don't work in a high rise office building that's already been hit once by terrorists, cause you know they're going to try again," or "don't wear a miniskirt if you don't want to get raped."

It's not like it's the victim's fault.
Hurkyl
Apr20-05, 03:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
One can also say "Don't jump off a cliff, 'cause landing hurts!", or "Don't run into moving traffic!"

Are those also not the victim's fault?
TRCSF
Apr20-05, 03:31 PM
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
One can also say "Don't jump off a cliff, 'cause landing hurts!", or "Don't run into moving traffic!"

Are those also not the victim's fault?
A more appropriate quote would be "don't stand next to a cliff, somebody will push you off" after somebody pushes a person of the cliff.

It's not like Rachel Corrie put the bulldoser in gear and then ran in front of the thing.
Hurkyl
Apr20-05, 03:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
She still ran out in front of it after it was moving.
TRCSF
Apr20-05, 03:38 PM
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
No, it's more like she put herself in front of a moving vehicle.
So did the guy during the Tianamen square massacre. Fortunately the guy who was driving the tank decided not to commit murder.
FredGarvin
Apr20-05, 05:41 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
How in the hell is a suit filed against Catepillar going to solve anything? Stupid, stupid girl.
The Rev
Apr20-05, 05:45 PM
P: 77
Quote Quote by Dayle Record
The real epiphany is, don't look for humanity where none exists.
Brilliant.

If only people with compassion could see those without it for what they are, without having to find out the hard way.

[tex]\Psi[/tex]

The Rev
Pengwuino
Apr20-05, 05:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Ah yes, throwing away your life for a cause you probably know little about. Wish people would cherish their own lives more then people like this girl do
TRCSF
Apr20-05, 05:57 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
Ah yes, throwing away your life for a cause you probably know little about. Wish people would cherish their own lives more then people like this girl do
On the contrary, I presume Rachel Corrie knew quite a bit about what the cause was. I wish people cared as much about other people as Rachel Corrie did.
klusener
Apr20-05, 08:42 PM
P: 212
exactly, she cared enough, loved those people so much, and believed in their cause with so much passion that she was willing to die for them...
russ_watters
Apr20-05, 09:14 PM
Mentor
P: 22,304
Quote Quote by TRCSF
So did the guy during the Tianamen square massacre. Fortunately the guy who was driving the tank decided not to commit murder.
That's a word that has a pretty specific legal definition: http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/293/293lect07.htm

Just to be clear: you are operating under the assumption that the driver purposefully killed her? Do you have any evidence of that?

A buddy of mine was not paying attention one day on a dock (he was in the Navy) and a crane operator lowered an outrigger onto his foot, crushing it. The difference between that and this case is that Rachel Corrie knowingly and purposefully put herself into a situation where her life was at risk, while my buddy just plain wasn't paying attention. Rachel Corrie had complete control over her level of risk and consciously chose to risk her life. Of that, we are certain.

What we don't know for sure is the intent and control of the situation that the driver of the buldozer had. However, in every legal system I'm aware of, until it can be proven that he intended to kill her (murder) or was willfully neglegent in avoiding her (that's not murder, that's homicide), we must assume he did not.
TRCSF
Apr21-05, 12:14 AM
There's a number of eye witness accounts swearing that the driver was well aware that he was running her over.

So it's their stories versus the driver's.

Given there's no chance of prosecution, even if the guy did in fact murder her, there's no reason to wait for a trial.
Pengwuino
Apr21-05, 12:32 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Did he tell people he knew she was there? My god... that thing is soooooooooooo big, bigger then my damn house.

And id bet my money on her not knowing what she was fighting for and her idea of it being a 'righteous enough cause' to die for being rather wrong. No one can intently look upon the situation between the 2 countries and say anyones side is right enough to give their lives up like that. She really wants to do something about it, go put her body infront of the muzzle of a militants RPG launcher or go protest out of Arafats compound when he was around.

Register to reply