Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
SteamKing
Nov19-13, 10:21 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,548
TiO2 is insoluble in water. If 'many paper' say it is, they are either wrong or there is some procedure which is used and you are not picking up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_dioxide

This article says nanotubes of TiO2 are prepared using either a strong NaOH solution or a dilute HF solution.
Alkim
Nov19-13, 01:11 PM
P: 98
"Dissolve" and sometimes "solve" is often used as a synonym of disperse. So if you mean that you are unable to obtain a stable dispersion of your nanopowder, you should try adding a dispersant.

dana3kil
Nov20-13, 01:32 PM
P: 2

Tio2 + water

Thank you
but in case of using a solvent how can I get rid of it . (water will evaporate )
and will dispersion give me homogeneous composite or I need to dissolve the material
Alkim
Nov20-13, 02:48 PM
P: 98
As already said, TiO2 is insoluble in water in the sense of decomposing into free ions. However, with sufficiently small particles and appropriate dispersants you can obtain relatively stable suspensions. In the case of very small particles, i.e. nanosized ones the suspension is called colloidal solution. In order to obtain a homogeneous composite you need to obtain a homogeneous and stable suspension of your TiO2 and whatever other materials are to from the composite with the aid of a dispersant (also called defloculant sometimes). However, this approach is not very adequate for achieving homogeneity on the nanoscale since the nanoparticles easily flock together even in very well defloculated suspensions. For nanocomposites there are other methods for achieving high homogeneity such as sol-gel, polymerized complex, etc. I recommend you to go to the library and find a specialized book on ceramic materials or composites processing. Also check carefully if a synthesis procedure hasn't already been developed. There is a high probability there are publications describing it.

Register to reply