Dissolving caffeine in room temperature water

gregor_rdt
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to dissolve caffeine in water for a few days now.
I am trying to dissolve approx. 500mg of caffeine in approx. 10ml of water, but I am encountering the problem that the solution turns into a paste. If I heat the water beforehand, the caffeine dissolves well at first, but then quickly turns back into a paste as soon as the solution cools down.
Are there any processes or substances that improve the solubility of caffeine in water?
I look forward to any answers. :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
gregor_rdt said:
substances that improve the solubility of caffeine in water?
Have you tried directly searching for an answer? Such as search terms increasing solubility of caffeine in water? After, of course, finding the solubility of caffeine in water as a function of temperature.

At PF, we want to help you find answers after you have made your own attempt.

try using a carbonated water. It is acidic and will cause the basic caffeine to ionize and increase its solubility in water.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

1. How much caffeine can dissolve in room temperature water?

At room temperature (around 25 degrees Celsius), approximately 2 grams of caffeine can dissolve in 100 milliliters of water. This solubility can vary slightly depending on the specific conditions such as the purity of the water and the form of the caffeine.

2. Does caffeine dissolve better in hot water compared to room temperature water?

Yes, caffeine dissolves better in hot water. As the temperature increases, the solubility of caffeine in water also increases. This is why caffeine dissolves more quickly and in greater amounts in hot water, making it a common practice to brew coffee and tea with hot water.

3. What factors affect the solubility of caffeine in water?

Several factors can affect the solubility of caffeine in water, including temperature, the presence of other substances, and the pH of the water. Higher temperatures generally increase solubility, and certain substances like sugars or salts can either enhance or reduce caffeine's solubility depending on their concentration. The pH level of the water can also impact solubility, with caffeine being more soluble in an acidic environment.

4. Is the caffeine solubility the same in all types of water?

No, the solubility of caffeine can vary depending on the type of water. For instance, impurities or minerals in tap water can affect its solubility compared to distilled or deionized water. Hard water, which contains higher levels of calcium and magnesium, might reduce the solubility of caffeine compared to soft water.

5. How long does it take for caffeine to dissolve in room temperature water?

The time it takes for caffeine to dissolve in room temperature water can vary, but it generally dissolves slower than in hot water. It might take several minutes for caffeine to fully dissolve in room temperature water, depending on the amount of caffeine and the specific conditions of the water.